Solved: Device Manager Blank

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Damonc

Damon
I've got a computer here (running XP Pro) that device manager is showing up blank, when you click in the white space you get the little "disable" "uninstall" "Update Driver" etc buttons on the tool bar, but none of them do anything.
It has lost its network adapters also.. but thats not the major issue. Its just the device manager.

I've checked the machine for viruses, it doesnt appear to have any, it did have adware but I've removed that using anti spyware. I have reinstalled SP2, and scanned for corrupted files using SFC..

The only idea I've got left is to reload the system, but the owner isnt real keen on me doing that.

Any suggestions?

If that doesn't help, wait till I get home today (3pm EST) and I'll try to provide you with instructions. I know XP Home works, not sure about Pro. It could be malware related, like the time I experienced this problem.

I'm back home now. :)

When you say that it has lost it's "network adapters", do you mean that Network Connections is blank as well (from the Control Panel)?

Please make sure that Plug and Play is enabled by clicking on the link that stevecook provided you with. The instructions are in the Microsoft link that I posted in that thread.

If Plug and Play is enabled, but you are still experiencing problems, please run these simple troubleshooting tests that I came up with:

Test A

• Click on My Computer from the Desktop

Question: Do you experience a delay opening the My Computer window (ie. a flashlight appears, searching for your files?)

Test B

• Right-click on any file or folder on your desktop
  • Hover over "Send To"

Question: Does your computer seem to "freeze" for about 30 seconds and then the Send To list appears?

Test C

• Click on Start
  • Click on Control Panel
  • Click on Network Connections

Question: Is the Network Connections area empty or populated?

Test D

• Click on Start
  • Click on Control Panel
  • Click on Add/Remove Programs

Question: Do you see any suspicious entries, specifically ContextPlus?

Please do everything I mentioned above, and we will go from there. I experienced a similar issue to you, and it was malware-related. However the fix for it is pretty much guaranteed to work on all XP Home systems like mine, but for some reason, XP Pro users haven't always resolved the problem like that.

Run the above troubleshooting steps, answer my "Questions" and I'll review everything. Good luck! (y)

Damonc

Damon
OK thanks for your help, here are the results of the tests -

My Computer opens up instantly.

There is no delay when going to the 'send to' menu

And the Network Adapters window IS empty.

No sus entries in Add/Remove programs

I have checked the Plug and Play and it is fine.

Well...

I personally have had a case myself where I had all of those symptoms mentioned in the tests, INCLUDING an empty device manager and empty network connections.

This is my only suggestion and it's how I fixed my problems. It's worth a shot, but I can't guarantee that it will work for you because we didn't have the exact same symptoms.

Print out these instructions or at least write them down carefully because you won't be able to access them from safe mode.

• Download aproposfix.exe from http://swandog46.geekstogo.com/aproposfix.exe
  • Save it to your desktop, but DO NOT run it yet.
  • Shut off your computer in reboot into Safe Mode (see instructions below).
  • From safe mode, double click on aproposfix.exe from your desktop.
  • A new folder called "aproposfix" is created on your desktop.
  • Open up the folder and double click on RunThis.bat.
  • Follow all the prompts and save the log file.
  • Reboot into Normal mode.
  • Upload the scan summary/ log of aproposfix.exe here.

Booting into safe mode:
1) After hearing your computer beep once during startup, but before the Windows icon appears, press F8.
2) Instead of Windows loading as normal, a menu should appear.
3) Select the first option, to run Windows in Safe Mode.

It's worth a shot and this is how I solved my problem. Let me know how it goes. (y)

Damonc

Damon
OK - Here is the log file, it said to supply with a HijackThis log file so I'll do a scan on it with that now..

Log of AproposFix v1

Running from directory:
C:\Documents and Settings\Admin\Desktop\aproposfix

Registry entries found:

No service found!

Removing hidden folder:
No folder found!

Deleting files:

Backing up files:
Done!

Removing registry entries:

REGEDIT4

Done!

Finished!

Damonc

Damon
And the hijackthis log

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 9:32:30 AM, on 11/01/2006
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SPBBC\SPBBCSvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgemc.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\IWP\NPFMntor.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SOUNDMAN.EXE
C:\PROGRA~1\Sygate\SPF\smc.exe
C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe
C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasServ.exe
C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Security Center\UsrPrmpt.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\CfgWiz.exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasDtServ.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wpabaln.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Security Console\NSCSRVCE.EXE
C:\Program Files\Hijackthis\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,CustomizeSearch =
R3 - Default URLSearchHook is missing
O2 - BHO: Yahoo! Companion BHO - {02478D38-C3F9-4efb-9B51-7695ECA05670} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn\ycomp5_5_7_0.dll
O2 - BHO: NAV Helper - {A8F38D8D-E480-4D52-B7A2-731BB6995FDD} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Helper - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar2.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Yahoo! Companion - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn\ycomp5_5_7_0.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar2.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {C4069E3A-68F1-403E-B40E-20066696354B} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SoundMan] SOUNDMAN.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SmcService] C:\PROGRA~1\Sygate\SPF\smc.exe -startgui
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroCheck] C:\WINDOWS\System32\\NeroCheck.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] "C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [gcasServ] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasServ.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_CC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe /STARTUP
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SSC_UserPrompt] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Security Center\UsrPrmpt.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NAV CfgWiz] "C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\CfgWiz.exe" /GUID {0D7956A2-5A08-4ec2-A72C-DF8495A66016} /MODE CfgWiz /CMDLINE "REBOOT"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Reader Speed Launch.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Google Search - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmsearch.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Translate English Word - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmwordtrans.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Backward Links - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmbacklinks.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Cached Snapshot of Page - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmcache.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Similar Pages - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmsimilar.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Translate Page into English - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmtrans.html
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msjava.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msjava.dll
O9 - Extra button: PartyPoker.com - {B7FE5D70-9AA2-40F1-9C6B-12A255F085E1} - C:\Program Files\PartyPoker\PartyPoker.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: PartyPoker.com - {B7FE5D70-9AA2-40F1-9C6B-12A255F085E1} - C:\Program Files\PartyPoker\PartyPoker.exe
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O10 - Broken Internet access because of LSP provider 'c:\program files\newdotnet\newdotnet6_98.dll' missing
O15 - Trusted IP range: 213.159.117.133
O15 - Trusted IP range: 213.159.117.133 (HKLM)
O15 - ProtocolDefaults: 'http' protocol is in Trusted Zone, should be Internet Zone (HKLM)
O15 - ProtocolDefaults: 'https' protocol is in Trusted Zone, should be Internet Zone (HKLM)
O16 - DPF: {1D4DB7D2-6EC9-47A3-BD87-1E41684E07BB} - http://ak.imgfarm.com/images/nocach...pularScreenSaversFWBInitialSetup1.0.0.8-2.cab
O16 - DPF: {2B323CD9-50E3-11D3-9466-00A0C9700498} (Yahoo! Audio Conferencing) - http://us.chat1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/chat/applet/v45/yacscom.cab
O16 - DPF: {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} (Yahoo! Companion) - http://us.dl1.yimg.com/download.companion.yahoo.com/dl/toolbar/yiebio5_1_6_0.cab
O16 - DPF: {F58E1CEF-A068-4C15-BA5E-587CAF3EE8C6} (MSN Chat Control 4.5) - http://chat.msn.com/bin/msnchat45.cab
O23 - Service: AVG7 Alert Manager Server (Avg7Alrt) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
O23 - Service: AVG7 Update Service (Avg7UpdSvc) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
O23 - Service: AVG E-mail Scanner (AVGEMS) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgemc.exe
O23 - Service: AVG6 Service (AvgServ) - Unknown owner - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG6\avgserv.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: Symantec Event Manager (ccEvtMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Settings Manager (ccSetMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\11\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
O23 - Service: iPodService - Apple Computer, Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
O23 - Service: Norton AntiVirus Auto-Protect Service (navapsvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Norton AntiVirus Firewall Monitor Service (NPFMntor) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\IWP\NPFMntor.exe
O23 - Service: Norton Protection Center Service (NSCService) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Security Console\NSCSRVCE.EXE
O23 - Service: Symantec AVScan (SAVScan) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\SAVScan.exe
O23 - Service: ScriptBlocking Service (SBService) - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\SYMANT~1\SCRIPT~1\SBServ.exe
O23 - Service: Sygate Personal Firewall (SmcService) - Sygate Technologies, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Sygate\SPF\smc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Network Drivers Service (SNDSrvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
O23 - Service: SPBBCSvc - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SPBBC\SPBBCSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Core LC - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe

I assume it still isn't working.

I'm stumped. Both logs look clean of anything that could be causing the problem. The aproposfix didn't find any malware on your system, which is the usual culprit of this problem.

Damn, it NEVER seems to work on XP Pro, but 99% of the time it seems to do the trick on XP Home Systems...

I'm clueless right now as to what else it could be. :confused: Give me some time later this evening and I'll see if I can dig up something else to help you.

Damonc

Damon
Umm OK.. Now I am confused. Everything is in device manager now, and also in the network connections folder.

If you say both those logs are clean (therefore the programs mustn't have done anything), what fixed it? :confused:

LOL :eek: :confused: :D

I have no idea what fixed it. Everything is fine again- in normal mode I assume?

No service found!

Removing hidden folder:
No folder found!
That aproposfix log clearly showed that nothing was found (in my case, it found stuff and reported the file names) so I have no idea why it is working again.

Who knows- but as long as it is working, that's the most important thing. :D It might have just removed residual entries of the malware that weren't significant enough to show up in the hidden folder/ service area (which is quite possible- that's my guess).

Maybe this program 'reports' the results of the scan differently between XP Home (showing results) and XP Pro (showing nothing to be there). :rolleyes:

Damonc

Damon
Yeah back in normal mode.. and everything is appearing. So I dunno.

Good stuff. (y) :)

It might have removed residual traces or registry keys (that wouldn't show up in the log file) and that could have done it for you. :confused:

I guess you can try rebooting the computer a couple times if you so desire to make sure that it wasn't a fluke. :eek:

If everything is working again, you can mark the thread Solved using the Thread Tools drop-down menu.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online