[SOLVED] Device Manager doesn't see new DVD-Drive, but does see my old CD-RW drive!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Stephenrulz3

I bought a new DVD-drive today and tried to install it, but it only sees my old CD-RW drive. They work if one is unplugged and the other is connected. If both are connected at the same time, then it only reads the CD-RW. When the other is disconnected, it gives the other the drive letter 'D'. Why won't it recognize both or how can I change the letter on my old one? The Device manager won't let me type another name in for the old CD-RW.

How can I get it to recognize both?
The brand of the DVD-drive is Pacific Digital and the CD-RW is Samsung.
I am using Win. XP on an eMachines T1440; Intel Celeron at 1.4 gHz.

Thanks,

Stephen

Maybe you need to give the DVD a different drive letter.

I don't know,but just a thought.

Triple6

Rob
ok if you are attaching both drives on the same cable make sure you are setting the jumpers correctly on the back of each drive. it sounds as if both are set to master. Heres what you should do. set the cd-rw to master, and the dvd drive to slave. and see if that works. make sure the red strip on the edge of the ide cable is toward the power connector.

Make sute the one on the end of the cable is set to master and the other to slave. Watch the first screen when booting and see if it shows both drives.

i don't know how mine are hooked up, but in the BIOS :

primary master=hard drive
primary slave=none
secondary master=cd-rw
secondary slave= dvd-rom

i assume primary slave would be for another hard drive.

try going into device manager and uninstalling(remove) the driver for it and reboot. This will (should) get windows to reinstall it. Maybe that will correct the problem.

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Originally posted by Stephenrulz3:
They work if one is unplugged and the other is connected. If both are connected at the same time, then it only reads the CD-RW. When the other is disconnected, it gives the other the drive letter 'D'.
You have them jumpered incorrectly. One must be set to MASTER (MA) and the other one to SLAVE (SL).

Stephenrulz3

The jumpers were set to the wrong thing. They both work now and it gave them different letters by default.

Thanks to all that helped,

Stephen

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online