1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[SOLVED] Device Manager doesn't see new DVD-Drive, but does see my old CD-RW drive!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Stephenrulz3, Jan 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Stephenrulz3

Stephenrulz3 Thread Starter

I bought a new DVD-drive today and tried to install it, but it only sees my old CD-RW drive. They work if one is unplugged and the other is connected. If both are connected at the same time, then it only reads the CD-RW. When the other is disconnected, it gives the other the drive letter 'D'. Why won't it recognize both or how can I change the letter on my old one? The Device manager won't let me type another name in for the old CD-RW.

How can I get it to recognize both?
    The brand of the DVD-drive is Pacific Digital and the CD-RW is Samsung.
    I am using Win. XP on an eMachines T1440; Intel Celeron at 1.4 gHz.

Thanks,

Stephen

2. monted

monted

Maybe you need to give the DVD a different drive letter.

I don't know,but just a thought.

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    ok if you are attaching both drives on the same cable make sure you are setting the jumpers correctly on the back of each drive. it sounds as if both are set to master. Heres what you should do. set the cd-rw to master, and the dvd drive to slave. and see if that works. make sure the red strip on the edge of the ide cable is toward the power connector.

4. n2gun

n2gun

Make sute the one on the end of the cable is set to master and the other to slave. Watch the first screen when booting and see if it shows both drives.

5. monted

monted

i don't know how mine are hooked up, but in the BIOS :

primary master=hard drive
    primary slave=none
    secondary master=cd-rw
    secondary slave= dvd-rom

i assume primary slave would be for another hard drive.

6. n2gun

n2gun

try going into device manager and uninstalling(remove) the driver for it and reboot. This will (should) get windows to reinstall it. Maybe that will correct the problem.

7. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

You have them jumpered incorrectly. One must be set to MASTER (MA) and the other one to SLAVE (SL).

8. Stephenrulz3

Stephenrulz3 Thread Starter

The jumpers were set to the wrong thing. They both work now and it gave them different letters by default.

Thanks to all that helped,

Stephen

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/112760

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice