Solved: Device Manager problem

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

shogan

Ok, as always I don't know if this is the right place to post this but here it goes.
My PC was working without problems but I found a way to change that :eek:
Someone told me you could update your system from the device manager and so I did. I updated something on the system devices and now my Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum card is not working as usual( there's no sound coming out of the headphones jack on the front panel)
I know that there's an option that lets you go back to the previous driver but as I was trying to update everything, I can't remember which one was it(I could only update one of them).
I know that the ideal option in this case would be to do a system restore, but since every expert in security advices you to disable this I'm pretty much screwed.
Anyway, if someone knows what are the steps to follow to fix this let me know please.
Thanx

System Specs:
Windows XP Proffesional 2002 SP 2
Intel Pentium 4 CPU 2.66GHz

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Disable system restore? :eek: I can't imagine anyone advising that.

shogan

Dude044, thank you for replying.
If that update is from Creative I don't think it's going to fix it since I updated the drivers directly from the company's site right after the problem began. And that update is from 2003.
I have an idea but I don't know how risky it can be:
The driver I think was updated has the option to go back to the old one, but what would happen if I do this?

sy2

Hopefully it will roll the driver back and fix the problem!

And BTW, the security experts will tell you to disable system restore only when you are cleaning out a virus. This is because a virus will often hide a copy of itself in the system restore files, so if you do restore you can often reactivate the virus. However, the recommended course of action is to turn system restore off and then right back on again! This flushes out the saved files and any virus/malware that may be residing there.

In a nutshell, turn it back on!

shogan

Nevermind, I just checked the connections and cleaned some of the dust of my computer. Didn't really think it would make any difference but it did! Problem solved.
Sy2, thanks for clearing that up, everytime they forgot to tell me to put System Restore back on!

sy2

No problem, glad to hear you got it resolved (y)

Those dust bunnies can be a real nuisance sometimes ;)

You can go up to the Thread Tools drop-down menu (underneath the "make a donation" link) and mark this thread as solved.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online