1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: DHCP Problem in VLAN.

Discussion in 'Networking' started by flex_few, Jan 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. flex_few

flex_few Thread Starter

Hello.
    I have part of a network:
    4 vlans configured on 1 switch(cisco 2960) which is connected to fa0/1 of a Cisco 2811router.
    The server happens to be on the last of the four vlans (vlan40).
    My problem is that its failing to provide ip addresses via dhcp to the PCs that are on the same vlan with it.
    Thank You in advance.

2. geek117

geek117

Do you have the 2811 setup as a DHCP server?

3. flex_few

flex_few Thread Starter

Thanks once again,:D.
    No I don't. Does it have to do with dhcp relay/ip helper? Read a thing or 2 about it moments back but havn't applied either.

4. geek117

geek117

Can you take screenshots of your DHCP/DNS configs in your Windows Server box? I'm leaning towards this being an issue with your Server config rather than your Cisco equipment, however what does your IP scheme look like in your router? Can you copy/paste a "sh ip int brief" here from the router?

5. flex_few

flex_few Thread Starter

These are the screen shots U requested. Its just a packet tracer model so DNS is empty that is why I didn't put it up.
    Thanks.

Attached Files:

6. geek117

geek117

I'm curious, as to why your sub-interfaces and Vlans don't follow each other (for the sake of being consistent). Also, why do you have two pools configured in there (one of which is blank)?

Next, can you post a screenshot of the PC's config? Also, how about a "sh vlan brief" from the switch? :)

I'm familiar with packet tracer, as i've used it extensively in the past. I don't currently have it installed however.

Edit: How about an overview of the network topology from your main packet tracer screen? Are all the interfaces up on the server?

7. flex_few

flex_few Thread Starter

The empty Pool is the default serverpool,jst discovered it can be saved on(but the problem still exists). These are 'vlan br' for the switches(there are two). Topology coming up,breaking it because of the upload limit.Then,which PC config would You like(a bit confused here)?
    THanks.

Attached Files:

8. flex_few

flex_few Thread Starter

This is the Screen Shot of the ground floor.

Attached Files:

9. geek117

geek117

Ok. Which switch/port is the server connected to (I would assume GA-S2)? And can we see a an IPCONFIG from a workstation on the same VLAN as the server? I know i'm walking you through baby steps, but we need a complete picture of the scenario to figure this out.

10. flex_few

flex_few Thread Starter

This is the 1st floor.
    Yea,its connected to GA-S2(fa0/23).I put the server and the Wireless access point(fa0/24) on the same vlan so the Custom devices don't even have IPs yet.

Attached Files:

11. geek117

geek117

Well, you only have the Server and WAP on vlan 40. You need to add more switch ports to that vlan, for the server to issue devices on those ports addresses. Or you configure inter-vlan routing, and setup DHCP scopes for each different LAN (.4.x, .5.x, .6.x, .7.x, etc).

Is the WAP pulling an address from the server?

12. flex_few

flex_few Thread Starter

At all,the WAP isnt pulling but if configured statically,communication occurs between the server and
    the nodes.
    I have configured inter-vlan routing and they all communicate but how do I do the dhcp scope?

13. flex_few

flex_few Thread Starter

Oh! I get You, :) . I'll try that now.

14. geek117

geek117

Can you ping the server from other vlans (while using a static IP on the machine trying to contact it)?? That'd be the first thing to look at across vlans.

15. flex_few

flex_few Thread Starter

Yes I can.
    With static addressing,all vlans communicate fine.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!