1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: di604 cannot log onto router, cannot /renew ip(dhcp unreachable), limited/no

Discussion in 'Networking' started by lehmand001, Jun 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lehmand001

lehmand001 Thread Starter

Hello, my xp has had the "limited/no connectivity" warning for a while but it did not effect my connection at all until recently. i have zero connectivity now on my vista and xp while connected to the router. (sorry in advance I'm not very knowledgeable with networks)

Its a wired network Modem(broadband) -> router(d-link di604) -> pc1(xp)/pc2(vista)
    i cannot log into my router from my browser, i cannot renew my ip from cmd as it cannot connect to "dhcp server"

right clicking on my lan network icon and trying to repair does not work because it cannot renew my ip

i have also tried restarting, disabling and enabling network card, reseting and unplugging modem and router, crossing my fingers.

all the appropriate lights are on...

im not sure what other information regarding this i can provide

any help with this would be welcome
    Thank you

2. Sponsor

3. lehmand001

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.
    C:\Documents and Settings\Danny>ipconfig/all
    Windows IP Configuration
    Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Danny
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network Connecti
    on
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-12-3F-C6-4A-09
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration IP Address. . . : 169.254.102.255
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

Could be bad router LAN port, bad cable, bad NIC, corrupted driver, or a 3rd party firewall blocking all access. Before starting to check and eliminate those try the following first.

(From a JohnWill post)

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Windows XP with SP2.

Start, Run, CMD, OK to open a command prompt.

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ip reset reset.log

Reboot the machine.

5. lehmand001

doesnt seem to have worked. ty for responding btw

6. lehmand001

i have tried disabling my firewall and swapping out cords with spares, no change

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

Can you successfully connect the XP to the modem (remember to power cycle the modem when changing devices)?

8. lehmand001

yes im able to do that, that is how i am able to access this site. however on mouseover in the system tray the "speed:" of the connection is "speed: 10.0 Mbps" down from "100.0mbps" before this problem arose... could be related.

limited/no connectivity alert is still present while directly connected to the modem

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

That may be a good hint. In Device Manager right click on your ethernet adapter and select 'Properties.' On the Advanced tab see if there is a property that deals with link speed and duplex. If so the best value is usually 'auto detect' but sometimes a NIC just doesn't seem to get along with a modem or router. So, try other settings, especially 10 Mbps full duplex and 100 Mbps full duplex. If those don't work you could try the half duplex settings also.

10. lehmand001

no luck, however on mouseover connection speed is up to 100mbps.. Limited/no conectivity lan speed is at 10mbps

could it possibly be that my router decided it was the end of its time? typing up 192.168.0.1 in a browser will not bring up a login prompt

11. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

I thought we were working on an XP problem, but with another reading I see that your Vista is also having trouble. So nothing is connecting to the router, right? Sorry for missing that.

Reset the router to factory default settings (hold the recessed reset button for 10 - 20 seconds and wait until the lights stop flashing). If still neither PC will connect to it, it does indeed need to be replaced.

12. lehmand001

i just had to reformat my hard drive and reinstall windows to fix a bunch of other problems, no change in this problem.Must be the router. oh well, i guess its time to make the switch to wireless. Thank you so much for your help!
    Ill seriously consider donating to this site when i can.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/719924