1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: dial up connection problems

Discussion in 'Networking' started by rubeckf, Jul 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rubeckf

rubeckf Thread Starter

First Name:
    Ruth
    I have a HP computer that's about 4 yrs old, celeron 2.8 with windows xp home edition. It has recently been restored to it's original condition with the restore disks in preparation to fix it up for a friend. She has juno premium version for her dial up internet provider. I put her account info into this one and tried to import her account to it and it will not connect. I have been on with tech support with juno to no avail. I then decided to try bellsouth dial up since I have bellsouth dsl on it now. I disabled the dsl and tried to put in the bellsouth dial up that I have access to as well. The same thing happened. It will dial but always times out. I was on with their tech support last night for 45 min and still couldn't get on. I could barely understand the guy and he didn't know as much as I did. I have tried 3 different internal modems as well as an external usb one. I have now deleted all of them except the intel 536. All the modems have checked out as ok. Now my question is, will it help to try to restore the computer again in case some files are missing?
    I have tried the winsock repair also. I had one before that wouldn't get on with an internal modem but would with a usb external one. It does not matter with this one.

After I posted this, someone suggested that I take off my dsl filter and try again. I did that and it connected immediately. I thought it was answered. Then it disconnected after about a min. and is back to not connecting again.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/596416

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice