1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Dial-Up Window Popping Up???

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Sasquatch, Oct 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Thread Starter

I'm using Windows XP Home - SP2, Service Pack 2 on both machines.

We've been on a cable connection for about 4 years now and don't remember the last time I've used a dial-up connection on either the desktop PC up here or the laptop downstairs.

However, in the past month or two there have been two things happening on both machines that never used to happen before.

1. The pop-up box that says "Reconnect" and "Work Offline" comes up quite frequently;

2. The dial-up box pops up that asks if you want to dial a connection using the modem.

What the heck may have prompted these to all of a sudden become daily occurences?

I did recently upgrade (finally) to SP2, and that is the only thing I can think of that may have played with any settings in the background. I'm attempting to locate the connection settings to make sure I have them all reset, but may be missing something ( IE, Tools, Internet Options, Connections [use LAN, never dial, etc] ).

I've rebooted the router and cable modem numerous times.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks.

2. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Thread Starter

Solved... I think.

Apparently when I recently updated XP to service pack 2 it reset the Internet Connection option for dial-up if there was no LAN connection. I've reset that and will see what happens.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!