1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Dialogue Box appears when closing XP

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by NZGuy, Oct 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. NZGuy

NZGuy Thread Starter

I have the Windows XP home edition operating system on my computer. Just recently when closing down a dialogue box appears with the text: "End Program - sprtmcd.exe" This goes through a little process then I select the "End Now" option and the computer closes down. This has to be done every time now. Everything else seems to be functioning normally as far as I can tell. My computer is a Dell Dimension 5150.

2. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

3. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

This seems to be an issue with a MS security update, KB951978. Seems after installing this update sprtcmd.exe has issues.

Uninstalling the Dell Support Center makes it go away. Haven't seen any responses to determine if uninstalling KB951978 will correct the issue yet.

This tag search will bring up some of the other threads: http://forums.techguy.org/tags.php?tag=sprtcmd.exe

HTH

Jerry

4. NZGuy

NZGuy Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice to un-install Dell Support. No longer have problem with the dialogue box appearing at shut down. Was a bit of a mission un-installing it. Tried safe mode as well to no avail. Found some advice from Mike82 which worked. Here is the advice he gave: "Press Control, Alt, and Delete and call up the Task Manager. Select the 'Processes' tab, and hunt down the freaking 'sprtcmd.exe'. You will find it! It is in that list. Select it with the mouse and choose END PROCESS button down at the bottom right of the screen. NOW that that stupid thing is ended, do your thing with the Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs, and it WILL (did for me) un-install and all of your problems will be gone.

5. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

You're Welcome!

If your issue has been resolved you (and ONLY you) can mark this thread Solved by using the Mark Solved button at the Top Left of this thread (above the first post) :)

Jerry

6. daisyplaid

daisyplaid

Hello, I, too started with the same issue after the Dell Support update took place. I also noticed update KB951978 happened on almost the same day. Now, I've got the dumb error every time I shut down, as well as web pages taking a while to load.

Here is my question - if I un-do the Dell Support Center update, do I keep the original Dell Support Center? Or do I uninstall that too?

Also, if I uninstall the KB951978, will that hurt my computer? I know I could reinstall it, but don't want to make any problems worse than what they already are.

thanks!

7. NZGuy

NZGuy Thread Starter

As I am only a beginner I really cannot suggest anything more than I have already stated that solved my problem. I never really used the Dell Support Centre so getting rid of it was not an issue. Sorry I cannot help more. All the best in solving your issue.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/758012

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice