1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Dialup/Broadband sharing issues

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by M(r)s. A, Mar 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. M(r)s. A

M(r)s. A Thread Starter

Hi all,

Windows XP Pro
    Broadband at home
    Dialup on the road

Broadband works fine. After disconnecting the network cable and plugging in the phone line, the modem cannot detect a dial tone. All cables are correctly connected and the phone bill is up to date. :)

The modem should be just fine as it has worked fine very recently. I think there is a port sharing issue or something. Surely there is a way to get them to play nice and take turns.

Internet options are set to dial only if a network connection is not present.

Please advise... vacation is quickly approaching.

Thanks much!

-M(r)s. A

2. M(r)s. A

M(r)s. A Thread Starter

I should also add that Google has been absolutely worthless on the subject. And I usually can find what I want pretty easily.

3. Swiper

Swiper

Modem is working properly in device manager ?
    Is the phone line being used going through any other devices such as answering machines or fax machine first ?? that could cause "no dial tone " type issue

try single line directly from wall outlet to your PC 's modem ( in the correct outlet of modem )

4. M(r)s. A

M(r)s. A Thread Starter

Device Manager says it is working properly. No other programs have ever used the modem, so it should not be busy or in use. Also, it is plugged directly into the wall.

5. Swiper

Swiper

Plugged into the correct "line" of the modem in back of your PC as well, I presume ??

your modem should have a line in/ and phone out to plug your phone into it as well etc...

6. M(r)s. A

M(r)s. A Thread Starter

There is only one line-in. It is a laptop.

7. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    After you connect the phone line, are you rebooting?

I use cable at home, but if I take my laptop to a friend's house and connect it to a phone line, it won't work unless I reboot first.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

8. M(r)s. A

M(r)s. A Thread Starter

I will try it. Be back in a sec.

9. M(r)s. A

M(r)s. A Thread Starter

Still cannot detect a dial tone. I have tried multiple jacks. Telephone has a dial tone.

10. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Oh well. It was worth a try. :(

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

11. M(r)s. A

M(r)s. A Thread Starter

I will post the solution in case someone else runs into this.

Simply deselect the "wait for a dial tone" box in the dialing properties area. For some reason it could not detect a dial tone (even though there was one), so I just made it dial out without waiting.

Whee!

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/448258

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice