1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Did I damage the processor ?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by trixxxy, Jul 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. trixxxy

trixxxy Thread Starter

I was cleaning the fan & heat sink over the processor, they were so bad & clogged with greasy dirt I had to pull them out in order to clean the grim out of each fin of the heat sink, ive done this before on many computers but this is the first to have the processor come out stuck to the heat sink, it has the Zero Insertion Force (ZIF) style socket with the lil lever u lift to insert then lower once in. So im wondering did i damage it, being the lever wasnt lifted when it was pulled out! there didnt appear to be damage and it dropped back in, then i lowered the arm to lock it back in place, then put the heat sink & fan back, but when i tried starting it up, nothing came up on the monitor tho u could hear everything starting normal! at least i think it was booting but no windows!
    ? is what happens when: a penium gets pulled out like that! did i damage it or maybe is there something else like i dunno loose wire for the monitor looked very well but cant see anything out of place! thanks u guys r the best

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

You are going to need to clean the old thermal paste off, then reapply freshly, more than likely. Also, if there is a plug attached to the fan, that needs to be connected to the motherboard.

3. trixxxy

trixxxy Thread Starter

Soooo... it's possible its not functioning properly because I need to reapply the thermal paste! sorry just a lil blonde here! : ) & know nothing about how a processer works! The computer starts up as I said but nothing comes up on the monitor! thats why i was asking if maybe I damaged the processor when I pulled it out, without the lever being lifted to release it??? and I did connect the fan back up to the motherboard when I replaced the heat sink back to its original place, it started running when i turned on the computer, but i didnt remove the old thermal paste & apply new! & im getting nothing on the monitor as I said when I start it! thanks for any or all help u can give me on this subject! tracy

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Candy is right; whenever you pull a hsf you must replace either the thermal compound or a new pad.

However I doubt the missing compound is preventing it from post. If your monitor light stays amber, I would think you damaged one or more pins on the cpu.

This was not a 775 type socket was it [the newer pentiums sometimes called socket T]

5. Rich-M

Rich-M

Crj is right on as usual and what you need to do is get a magnifying glass and look at all 4 corners of the cpu pins as if you pulled it straight up, you would be OK, However since you did not know it was coming out like that, a pull to either side by accident, could have bent a whole bunch of pins which if you have a good quality jewelers"loop" and jewelers screw drivers you might gently get them back but it requires really good vision and something I have little of, namely "patirnce".

6. ~Candy~

Would the system even start up with bent pins? :confused:

7. Rich-M

Rich-M

Candy,
    In the past no, but I have seen one do so recently and actually run on some motherboards with a pin missing...that situation blew me away. In fact I sernt that one back to Amd to repair and they told me it ran for them for 20 hours on 2 boards, and it would not for me at all. It did run lights and fans though which was a real puzzle here.

8. trixxxy

trixxxy Thread Starter

1st thing i did was examine the pins when it pulled out like it did, & on one corner I found 1 pin in the very corner was just mmm slightly tipped so I carefully straightened it! placed it back in the sprocket & it dropped right in then lowered the lever, I dont think if the pins were bent it would drop into the sprocket! i noticed my heat sink has a copper circle where it was thermally pasted to the processor maybe it has to have this thermal contact to the processor for it to work properly?? or maybe its damaged & its just unnoticeable to a good eye! Thanks you guys for the imput as always you guys are johnny on the spot! I appreciate that more then I can express! & up until this stupid mistake which was mine, you guys have come thru to make me look GR8! guess we all have to learn some things the hard way! would you guys have 1 last answer on this issue how do I find out the cost of replacement? these are best as I could read the numbers ect on the processor :
    Intel 04
    celleron D
    2.80 ghc/256/533
    SL7NW philippines
    7505B225
    6510c2260963
    THANKS again guys! You are the best! RALLY! : )

9. ~Candy~

Interesting.

10. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

With all of those pins [probably 478] it can be very hard if not almost impossible to see 1 broken pin. If the pin broke off, it will still insert into the socket.

For things like this, it is best to have a young set of eyes.

11. Rich-M

Rich-M

Not terribly much:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819112186

12. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Trixxy if it did in fact break off a pin, that pin might still be in the socket. I would at the very least turn the system upside down [with the lever up] and make sure any broken pin falls out.

Note it would be better to pull the board, however turning it upside down will probably suffice.

13. Rich-M

Rich-M

Good point and it would be very tough to see. I think it is easier to study cpu under magnifying glass first and make sure you look in all 4 directions on each area.
    You might be able to get a return on cpu BTW, I did it easily with Amd and Intel is known for being really good with customer service.

14. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

FWIW, I've had several processors glue themselves to the HS when you use the Intel factory supplied thermal pad. I've had to yank them out without releasing the ZIF lever, so far none have been damaged.

15. Rich-M

Rich-M

Once again if you realize it is happening and make sure you pull straight up and not at an angle, it will work for you. After that onw experience I try to get the lever up now before I bull the heat synch off wherever possible.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/486244

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice