1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Did I fry my PC?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by matty1stop, Jan 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. matty1stop

matty1stop Thread Starter

I was trying to upgrade an old PC using some RAM I got from a friend. I put in the ram, but then couldn't boot my PC. I assumed it was because the ram was incompatible so I put my old ram back in. Now the machine won't boot at all. The powere comes on, but it doesn't do much else.

Is it possible that I fried the board booting it with bad ram or short circuited it somehow?

Any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Matt

2. Old Rich

Old Rich

More likely that you disconnected something else while you were in there messing with the memory . . go thru and reseat every connection. . It's also possible that the new memory confused the BIOS . . enter BIOS ( Setup ) and reset to defaults to see if it comes back to life

3. matty1stop

Thanks for the reply. I will check the connections. Right now I can't even get as far as the bios. The Fan will turn on, the on light comes on and I can get the CD tray to come out so there is power to those, but It doesn't do much more than that.

4. gargoyle189

gargoyle189

Take the battery out of the motherboard for ten mins while it has no power the bios will reset itself to factory default

5. matty1stop

OK I pulled and resest all the SCSI connections and all the power connections except to the motherboard. I wasn't sure how to unplug that and didn't want to force it.

I pulled the battery and then restarted it, but still no luck. The fan comes on and it beeps 4 times then nothing.

Any ideas what I can try next?

Thanks,
    Matt

6. valis

valis Moderator

are the beeps evenly spaced, or are they short/long combo? Also, what make is your bios?

7. matty1stop

They are 4 short evenly spaced beeps. Not sure of the make of the bios. Any way I can tell that from looking at it? The machine is an 8 year old Packard Bell with a PII

8. techy689

techy689

If your computer is beeping that almost always means there is an error with your memory. Either it is not being read correctly, the memory cards aren't inserted correctly, or the memory cards have gone bad.

I don't have time to check up on all the threads I write posts on, however if you want any more advice from me specifically, send me a PM.

9. gargoyle189

gargoyle189

this is most likely memory as s4baz said, take out and reseat the memory, or if there are 2 or 3 sticks try each one indivdually.

10. matty1stop

I took the memory out and put it back in. It doesn't beep anymore but still won't boot up.

Any other ideas?

Thanks for your patience and the help

11. Rich-M

Rich-M

Separate video card and did you bump it when inserting memory?

12. matty1stop

I took out the video card and put it back in. No change. I don't think it is just the video that I lost. It usually makes more noise when it boots. Normally it beeps a couple of times and then churns a little. But its not doing that now.

Just to give you an idea of what I'm working with I included a few pictures of it. (If I did it correctly)

Attached Files:

13. Old Rich

Old Rich

The connection most likely to have been disturbed is the main mother board power connection . . the long one just below the memory banks . . there is a little lever on one side that you press to let it come out, then press it back in firmly

14. gargoyle189

gargoyle189

i noticed its a slot CPU not a socket, try removing the CPU (if you havent already) then reseating firmly back in place, also, i think you already dont this but the motherboard battery may need to be out for a longer period of time with no power going to the system, just unplug the kettle lead from the back and remove the battery, usually 10 mins sorts it but try 20 mins instead.

15. Old Rich

Old Rich

Good catch . . it would be easy to unseat the processor also

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/536835

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice