1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Did System Recovery-Dowloaded 87 Updates From MS, System Wont Start

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by nthe10ring, Apr 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. nthe10ring

nthe10ring Thread Starter

Had problems with virus, couldnt update Virus or Malware Protection. I did full shred System Recovery from partition ( HP-
    A1130N -Windows Media Edition- Version 2002 Service Pack 2. Dowloaded AVG Virus and ran scan, all OK. Went to MS Dowload center and downloaded and installed 87updates to include IE8, started computer, all OK. Then updater said needed to download SVC Pack 3- took a loooooooooooooong time. THEN COMPUTER WOULDNT START- tried the two options it gave me but no go back to same black screen with boot options-- regualar- last working point- safe mode etc. no go.
    At this point I did a full System Recovery again and downloaded virus protection again. I noticed some of the updates are for IE6 and later your install IE8 and it seems one of the updates was for Sc Pack 3. Wondering about these updates now, dont want to go back and have to do this all over again. I have all my important files on a seperate portable backup drive. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Jerry

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Jerry:

I've done plenty of fresh installs and upgrades of XP, so I'll tell you what works for me.

Download and save the full 316 MB SP3 upgrade and then burn it off to a CD-R.

Do another recovery with Windows Media Center Edition 2002 Service Pack 2.

Go into Power Options in the Control Panel, set the power scheme to "Always On", set all other settings to "Never", uncheck "Enable hibernation", then click Apply - OK.

Go into Display in the Control Panel, set the screensaver to "None", then click Apply - OK.

(Note: The above 2 steps is to prevent the power management features and the screensaver from kicking in and interfering with the upgrade process. You can always reset them to your personal settings after you're done.)

Restart your computer.

Insert the CD-R and then install the SP3 upgrade.

Restart your computer.

Go to the Windows Updates site and do an express scan, then download and install the post-SP3 high-priority updates.

Restart your computer.

Now you can install your anti-virus program and other desired programs.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

By the way, here is the support and software site for your HP Pavilion a1130n desktop.

If you need to install or update an device drivers or pre-installed software, you can do it here.

That desktop is 5 years old, so I'm sure you'll have some outdated and useless bloatware to get rid of.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

3. nthe10ring

Thanks Flavallee,

At work now but when I get back home will give that a try. One question though, after I download and install Srvc Pack 3 and go back to the MS Download site, will the service pack 3 supercede a bunch of the updates that were pulled up for me previously. I downloaded 87 updates to include IE8 the first time before I downloaded service pack 3.

Jerry

4. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Jerry:

I gave you those steps under the assumption that you're going to start over and do a full recovery with XP MCE SP2.

Considering the problems that you're having, starting over might be better.

---------------------------------------------------------------

5. nthe10ring

Flavallee,

After the computer wouldnt start, I did a complete Recovery again and havent downloaded anything from MS as yet. I just went there and it gave me 78 possible dowloads, ser pack 3 was not one of them. Im going to download it and intstall as you instructed. My concern was with the ser pack 3 installed will a lot of the downloads be null an void.

Jerry

6. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Ignore the 78 updates that are waiting to be downloaded and installed after you did a full recovery with XP SP2.

Install the SP3 upgrade, then restart, then do a scan at the Windows Updates site.

7. nthe10ring

Did fresh install again, and followed instructions to download and install service
    pack 3, but once again no go, would not start. I have now done another fresh install and really dont know what to do. Just wondering if maybe i should try downloading the mess of updates listed prior to ser. pack 3, its the last one and go with that. Originally i did that and then downloaded ser pack 3 and thats when it wouldnt start.

Jerry

8. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    If the SP3 upgrade is continuing to cause you grief, stick with XP SP2 and just install the high-priority updates that follow it.

I really don't know why you can't get the SP3 upgrade to install.

Here is some reading. You may be doing something that I'm not aware of.

9. Old Rich

Old Rich

10. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    I started to ask if that computer has an AMD processor, but then I remembered the SP3 upgrade caused a restarting loop and not the problem that he's been describing.

11. nthe10ring

I do have the AMD Athalon 64 Processor 3500+ ----What happens is when asked to restart, it goes through the motions and then comes up with the screen that says ,,,Sorry could not start and the starts counting down about 30 seconds till starts in Normal Mode, there are several other options such as Last known good point etc. If you leave it in the normal mode it will just keep trying to start over and over again. I guess this would be considered the loop. Sorry my initial description might not have made this clear.

Jerry

12. Old Rich

Old Rich

13. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Read here.

Here is the Microsoft download link for the AMD patch.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

14. nthe10ring

Ok, did fresh install, uninstalled all the Norton stuff. Downloaded the above patch from Microsoft, restarted computer. Tried to install Ser pack 3. Same as before- the black screen saying sorry for the inconvenience and countdowns to continious starts. Did yet another fresh install and back online again. One thing an it just happened again after the fresh install and as I am typing this, I get the Purchase Trend Micro screen. They must be the cockroach of the industry, you just cant kill it. Ive been back on the net about 30 seconds and went directly to this site. I dont know if this would make any difference or not.Is trend micro a legitimate businese, and if so how to they get away with dropping this mess on you. Oh well so much for my rant. Ill check back later to see what you folks think. I really appreciate the help from Flavallee and everyone else.
    Jerry

15. Old Rich

Old Rich

Did you disable intelppm either in recovery consol or by running the vbs script in my first post?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!