Solved: Did we get shafted?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

cj2448

Not sure if I am putting this in the right section...but...can someone advise where to put or answer my questions pleeeeeze???

I bought a laptop, it was advertised like this:

Dell Latitude
Intell Pentium 111
500 MHZ
3.2 GB Harddrive
14 inch screen
Windows 2000
256 MB

the price paid was 232.00

I have rec'd it...it is a little more than gently used.

When I right click on My comp., then System Properties, general, I see this

COMPUTER
x86 Family 6 Model 8 Stepping 3
AT/AT Compatible
261,600 kB RAM

When I look under the C drive 1/2 is used up, it is a 3 gb as stated

Did we get shafted?

Squashman

Retired Trusted Advisor
Well, I could probably gotten you something 10 time better for about $375. Got a buddy who works for a leasing company. When things come off of lease they resell all the equipement if the company doesn't want to buy them.

Last stuff I bought from him was a pretty darn good price.

Dell Latitude C640's

with 512 meg Ram
40Gb HDD
CDRW-DVD
Floppy
2 batteries
2 Power Supplies/Charger
Docking Station
Bag
XP Pro License

1.8 Ghz 375$
2.0 Ghz 425$
2.4 Ghz 475$

35$ to ship

some warranty is left on each machine apppox 250 days...
These things were in pretty good shape. They were basically used in the docking stations the whole time. The cases they sent me were brand new.

I think you have a Celeron processor. RAM looks right. Windows will take up quite a bit of the hard drive. Go to dell.com and enter the service number for the laptop to get the specs.

cj2448

norton850 said:
I think you have a Celeron processor. RAM looks right. Windows will take up quite a bit of the hard drive. Go to dell.com and enter the service number for the laptop to get the specs.
Is there a way to be sure what the processor is?

cj2448 said:
Is there a way to be sure what the processor is?
Yes, the service tag can be entered at Dell web site and will give you all the specs on that model. You could also download Everest home edition.

I don't think you got screwed--$230 is about right for what you got--you may have been able to get it cheaper, but generally speaking its a fair price.

cj2448

Mulder said:
Yes, the service tag can be entered at Dell web site and will give you all the specs on that model. You could also download Everest home edition.

I don't think you got screwed--$230 is about right for what you got--you may have been able to get it cheaper, but generally speaking its a fair price.
I can't find where to enter the service #, can you link me please?

You didn't get shafted. That's a Pentium III. And laptops hold their value very well, for $230 that is not a bad buy. I spend $350 on a similar model a year ago (it is almost the same, except it's a 600MHz CPU, and a 20GB hard drive).

JohnWill said:
Well, you have to consider you can have a brand new Dell notebook with a 40gig HD, DVD/CD-RW, and XP-Home for $499...

http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?CS=19&kc=6W300&oc=iB120S1

IMO, used laptops are very rarely worth the money when you can get a new one with a warranty for not much more...
Disagree John, depending on the use--I bought a used one for $250 for my daughter (Gateway Solo)--she needed it only to take notes in class--she has a desktop at home. Why pay $499 when $250 will do the same? Its been going strong for more than 2 years with no problems.

Now if you're talking about getting a laptop to serve as a primary computer, I would agree with you.

JohnWill said:
Well, you have to consider you can have a brand new Dell notebook with a 40gig HD, DVD/CD-RW, and XP-Home for $499...

http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?CS=19&kc=6W300&oc=iB120S1

IMO, used laptops are very rarely worth the money when you can get a new one with a warranty for not much more...
Well, that wasn't true even a year ago when I got mine (actually, it was two years ago... yeep, time flies). And Mulder is right, why spend $500 when you can spend $250 instead? :)

erick295 said:
Well, that wasn't true even a year ago when I got mine (actually, it was two years ago... yeep, time flies). And Mulder is right, why spend $500 when you can spend $250 instead? :)
Yes--it is dependent on use--John is right that if you want a computer to be your primary computer and a workhorse, then go with the new technology.

I'm going to buy my daughter a new laptop when she graduates so she'll have the new technology for her new job whatever that is.

Here's an easier way:
Click start > run > type in "dxdiag"
It should give you most of the info you are looknig for

Aida32 Personal is good for getting system info too.

The "x86 Family 6 Model 8 Stepping 3" is normal. My Tecra laptop lists "x86 Family 6 Model 8 Stepping 6" and it's a PIII 700. I think Model 8 is what refers to it as a PIII.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Everest Home is a newer version of ADIA32, and has many updates over the older ADIA32.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online