1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Diff b/w wireless bb router and a wireless cable router

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Swati, Oct 29, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Swati

Swati Thread Starter

Is there a difference b/w a wireless router that will hok up to a broadband modem connection and one that will link to a cable modem connection ?

I was planning to buy the linksys wrt 54gs but i have a broadband modem which connects to the telephone jack at one end and to the rj45 jack on my notebook for which i also need to buy a nic card. is that the correct one to buy ?

Thanks !

2. 5mi11er

5mi11er

Yes. The key is the RJ-45 on the modem; you need a broadband router with a WAN ethernet port. That model will do fine. And you'll then connect the laptop to the router via wireless or a straight ethernet cable. You may need a cross over cable to go between the router and the modem.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

There is no difference between routers for DSL, ADSL, or cable modem, as long as the modem has an Ethernet output. SOHO broadband routers support all these services, that's pretty much every broadband router.

If you're talking about combined modem/router products, they obviously have to connect to the specific service in question.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/290155

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice