1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Difference Between Onboard Graphics a Dedicated Graphics Card

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by techsavy8, Oct 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. techsavy8

techsavy8 Thread Starter

Hi!
    I am Techsavy8 from India.

Now I would like to know the basic difference in terms of performance for an onboard graphics card and a dedicated graphics card for a Laptop.

What could be a major difference?
    Also, for Onboard graphics, it is said on all the branded website that the size of it is upto 384MB shared.

So, say for instance, if I go for a dedicated graphics card for a new laptop which I am planning to purchase and the size of this dedicated graphic card is 256MB or 128MB and Onboard graphic card on the other hand provides 384 MB shared memory, therefore the question is that how could that external graphics card sizing 256 MB deliver better performance as compared to Onbard graphics which sizes 384 MB shared?

Also, how are the new laptops launched by HP in India in terms of performance, mobility & stability?
    The Laptop which I am looking for falls under 6700 series and is a business series laptop.

Waiting eagerly for a reply...

Techsavy8

2. Lucky5tar

Lucky5tar

I would always go for a dedicated graphics card. Onboard graphics uses RAM, which will be detremental to performance.

3. BG-0

BG-0

Dedicated graphics cards are quite much always better, as the graphics processing units in them are more advanced than the ones in integrated ones.
    And as far as the vid card memory goes, here's an example: Let's take two dedicated gfx cards. Geforce 8600 GT 1 GB version, versus Geforce 8800 GT 512 MB version, or let's say even 8800 GS 384 MB version. The 8600 GT is the worst of the whole lot.

4. Lucky5tar

Lucky5tar

You're the first person in the world I've ever heard say that integrated graphics are better than dedicated graphics cards.

5. br1ng3r

br1ng3r

That most definately must be a monumental "type-o" BG-0? Integrated better than dedicated! Hmmm surely not.

6. BG-0

BG-0

Yeah, I fixed that.. :eek:

7. Lucky5tar

Lucky5tar

LOL. Much better ;)

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/759339

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice