1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Difference between two WD Black models?: WD5003AZEX and WD5002AALX

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dbboeder, Oct 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dbboeder

dbboeder Thread Starter

Hello,

I'm in the market for a WD Black 500GB, I found two variants: WD5003AZEX and WD5002AALX. Apart from the 64MB vs 32MB Cache, what is the difference between the two models? I looked at the WD website and the data sheet (PDF) showed no other differences. Also, which one is better [if any]?

Thanks!

2. ninjatex

ninjatex

There is virtually no difference between the drives, except that at least on NewEgg one comes with a longer warranty. Unless you're doing some crazy high-performance task there's no way you'd ever notice the cache difference.

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Both come with 5yr warranties on newegg [unless I am missing something]
    Both are sata3 however the cache is different. IMO you would not see any difference in performance.

You might see a slight difference in burst speed on a benchmark however in real world use, no difference.

4. dbboeder

dbboeder Thread Starter

Are there any benchmarks for WD5003AZEX out there? I already have that model (bought it yesterday) but I have a one-day window to exchange it for the WD5002AALX. Which one is likely to perform better - even marginally?

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

As I said NO difference in real world use.

Just get whichever one you want. There really is no difference other than the cache. Since you purchased the one with the 64meg cache, then keep that one.

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

If you are really interested in performance, then get a ssd drive. That will really give you a boost in performance.

7. dbboeder

dbboeder Thread Starter

Thanks crjdriver! My system doesn't support SSD.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1071948

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice