1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Difficulties setting up a home network

Discussion in 'Networking' started by swanny65, Oct 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. swanny65

swanny65 Thread Starter

Hi, I have two pc's connected by ethernet cables to a 2wire 2700hgv router.

No1 pc runs win2K pro sp4 and has a zone alarm firewall.
    No2 runs xp pro sp2 etc behind the windows firewall.
    I have a printer (HP840c - 6 years old) on No1 pc which i want to use from No2 pc as well as being able to share file etc between pc's.

No1 pc doesn't seem to locate No2 pc in my network places and visa versa. I did create a network disc from No2 pc but understand this won't work with win2K.

Help please

swanny

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I think the following will work, but still looking for somebody to test it out and confirm. It sounds like you've already set up the XP machine using the Wizard.

The following will set up a Microsoft Workgroup for File and Printer Sharing assuming the PCs are already networked via router, ad-hoc wireless or Ethernet (directly or using switch or hub).

In Network and Dial-up Connections (Win 2k Pro) or Network Connections (XP) right click on your connection and select ‘Properties.’ If not already there, install or add a check mark for “Client for Microsoft Networks, “File and Printer sharing …” and “Internet Protocol (TCP/IP).”

Right click on My Computer and on the Computer Name tab make sure you have a unique computer name and the workgroup name that you want to use for all computers. Change if necessary.

Restart the PC.

You must uninstall or properly configure any 3rd party firewalls on each machine.

If using the XP SP2 firewall: Control Panel – Windows Firewall – on the General tab it should be “On” and on the Exceptions tab “File and Printer Sharing” should be selected.

The Shared Documents folder is automatically shared. Any other folders or printers you want to share, just right click on them and sharing ... . When sharing a printer, accept the offer to load other drivers if your other PCs have different Operating System(s).

When you first go into My Network Places there will be nothing there. The first time you click on 'View Workgroup computers' will probably result in great disappointment. It takes awhile (20 minutes or so) before all the computers in the workgroup get up-to-date and accurate lists of the other computers. Often you can speed up this process via Search for other computers.

When computers show up in My Network Places, double click on one to see its shares. If that includes a printer, you can right click on the printer to connect to it.

3. MaidenFan

MaidenFan

If you know each computer's name, type \\compname into the address bar of Windows Explorer and hit enter (where "compname" is the name of the computer you want to access). This is the (more direct) equivalent of clicking on My Network Places and clicking on the computer.

To find the computer's name, right-click on My Computer and go to Properties. I think in Win2k the tab is "Network Identification". On WinXP, the tab is "Computer Name". Read off the "Full computer name".

If this doesn't work, then there are other problems with the network that need addressing (possible firewall issues, networking errors etc).

On the "Firewall" tab of ZoneAlarm, you can configure which security settings are attached to your Trusted and Internet zones. If you use the router to connect to the Internet, I would personally recommend keeping the "High" setting on the Internet Zone and creating a Trusted IP Range for your other computer. Once this is done, set the security setting on the Trusted Zone to "Medium". Make sure that the setting for your network card isn't on the Trusted Zone and that just the IP Range has Trusted access.

Apologies for the long explanation :)
    Craig

4. swanny65

swanny65 Thread Starter

Hi

Thanks for your advice but all is not well!!!

Both pc's named on workgroup MSHOME

No2 pc (the XP one) shows both pc's in view network computers. However when i try and access the No1 pc i get the message \\name is not accessable ....... the network path was not found.

No1 pc (the win2K one) also cant find the Mshome network when i double click computers near me.

The xp firewall appears ok and i configured zonealarm on the win2k pc to set the ip address for No2 pc as trusted.

i am obviously missing something. is the MSHOME and error message Mshome (not in capitals anything important)

swanny

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    To open a Command Window: Start - Run – cmd (command in 98SE) - OK

To determine a computer's IP address: open a Command Window and type
    ipconfig /all

Now for some troubleshooting:

1. On each PC open a Command window and type
    ping IPofOther (where IPofOther is the IP address of the other PC)

Do you get Replies, or do you get packets lost? If packets lost, firewall.

If you got Replies,

2. Do the same ping except use the Computer Name of the other computer:
    ping NameOfOtherPC

Replies or lost packets? If packets lost, probably firewall.

If you got Replies to either or both,

3. Then
    Start - Run - \\IPofOther - OK

With luck after about a minute you should get an explorer window showing the other PC's shares. If not, what is the error message?

6. swanny65

swanny65 Thread Starter

Hi TerryNet

Not had time to look at this - will do it tonight and post back

Thanks

Swanny

7. JohnDoe111

JohnDoe111

Hi TerryNet,
    I am having the same problem, but with 2, XP machines. tried the \\IPofOther,
    and received "The Network Path was not found", but I can ping from the laptop to the desktop, with no packets lost. The desktop, can see the laptop, but the the laptop, can "NOT" see the desktop.

Thanks,
    Rob

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Hi Rob. Please start a new thread since even one of these problems can get pretty complicated and confusing. With two in same thread we all would go nuts. :)

In your thread please post full error message, be clear about whether ping by name worked or just by IP address, and be specific about "see."
    Terry

9. swanny65

swanny65 Thread Starter

Hi TerryNet

Ping OK from No1pc (win2K) to No2pc (xp)
    Ping timed out from No2pc to No1pc - zonealarm firewall. Added a trusted range to zonealarm and ping OK

Start - run - \\ip address of other pc
    worked but the No2pc can only view the printers on the No1pc. As it happens that will be fine because i use the No1pc and dont want the files shared.

I have marked the post as solved

Thanks very much

Swanny

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/510355

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice