1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Difficulty downloading Open Office

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Allan Murray, Jan 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Allan Murray

Allan Murray Thread Starter

As an Open Office enthusiast of many years, I offered to download and install Open Office on to a friend's Windows 7 laptop.
    However all attempts to download produced a "Oops, there is a problem, try again" message. Assuming that it was the Norton Antivirus that was blocking the way, I searched Norton for a Disable facility, but I just could not find it. I am not familiar with Norton. Can anybody help? Allan.

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    try downloading onto a USB stick from another PC and put onto your friends PC

Norton should not be blocking , if the file has no virus/malware in and from the openoffice.org site

but try
    Please right click on the Norton icon in the taskbar (bottom right hand side) and then you should be able to
    select Disable Smart Firewall
    also you should be able disable Norton Antivirus Auto Protect
    BUT may vary with different versions

is you friend paying a full subscription to Norton ?

3. Allan Murray

Thank You. I tried to download on to a USB memory stick on my own laptop, as you suggested, but it downloads into program files and does not give me any choice; and when I right click on the file there is nothing on the menu to help. As my friend lives 26 miles away, I would like to know that I had a definite plan before I see him again. As far as the subscription to Norton is concerned, the laptop is fairly new, and probably came with Norton installed. I dont even know for sure if the Norton is up to date. If it is not the Norton that is blocking, are there any other possibilities? Sorry for all the problems and questions. Allan.

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    could be a few things

can you remotely attach to the pc

teamviewer www.teamviewer.com is very good and free for personal use

and you can transfer files to his PC

should download into download folder - unless you are running rather than saving

what webbrowser are you using

5. Norton_Support

Norton_Support Norton Representative

Hello Allan,

As etaf suggested, you can disable the Norton product temporarily via system tray. However, I do not think the problem is caused due to the Norton product.

Can you try downloading using a different browser? If you are using a wireless connection, try with a wired connection and see if that helps!

Thanks!

Vineeth
    Norton Support

6. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

When you get to the download site, try using SAVE AS rather than just SAVE as that allows you to specify where it is saved in a lot more understandable manner.

7. Allan Murray

I could not get a 'Save As' opportunity before it started, However I managed to download Open Office from the Filehippo site, and then I did a 'send to' to my USB memory stick. If I now take the memory stick to my friend, and open the file, I should be given an Install opportunity when I open the file, as happens on my own computer. Am I right and is this safe? Sorry for being so wary, but I am very conscious that I am working on someone else's computer. Allan

8. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

If that is what is worrying you, why don't you use the Portable Version of Openoffice or Libreoffice, or my preference KingSoft office.
    All can be used from a USB stick without leaving anything on the host (except perhaps a registry entry saying that they have been run). Kingsoft is most like MS Office in style.

9. Allan Murray

I have managed to get open office installed on my friend's computer. I downloaded open office from the filehippo website on to my memory stick on my own computer. I then installed open office from the stick into my friend's computer and everything works fine. Problem solved and thank you very much to you all. Allan

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!