1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Difficulty watching DVD movies

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by jlabit, Jan 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jlabit

jlabit Thread Starter

I am a member of Netflix, and recently received a copy of "The Bourne Supremacy" that I am trying to watch. I am running Windows 7 Ultra and when I pop the DVD into the player, nothing happens. When I open up Windows Explorer and click on the DVD player, it tells me to insert a DVD into the player, although the movie is already installed. I put the movie into my other DVD player I have on my computer, and the same things happen. I put the DVD into my wife's computer, which uses the same operating system, and the movie plays correctly.. Also, when I put a data DVD into either player, Windows Explorer accurately displays the info on the disk correctly. Sure would appreciate it if anyone has any ideas on how to fix this. Thanks

Jim

2. valis

valis Moderator

sounds like the disk is bad. Can you play it in a standard dvd player?

As it fails across multiple pc's, and other disks (I'm assuming) have worked in those pc's, I'd blame the weak link in the chain. Netflix has a great policy regarding damaged disks; report a problem with it and they will ship you a different copy. I've done that a few times.

3. jlabit

jlabit Thread Starter

I made a mistake when initially describing the problem, which I have fixed. The DVD movie works great in my wife's computer which uses the same OS. I also just placed into my movie dvd player in the living room and the movie plays fine. Thanks for your response and time.

4. valis

valis Moderator

do other dvd's work in your rig? The trick is to find where the weak link is.

5. jlabit

jlabit Thread Starter

They both read data DVD's as they are supposed to, using Windows Explorer. However, when using Explorer to attempt to see the movie dvd, the dvd tray pops out and I get a Windows message telling me to insert a dvd into the tray. This happens on both of the installed dvd's.

6. valis

valis Moderator

when the disk is in the tray, what do you see in windows explorer?

7. jlabit

jlabit Thread Starter

With a movie disk in the tray,and selecting the particular dvd with windows explorer, the tray will open and a message comes up telling me to "Please Insert a disk into F: When just looking at Explorer without selecting a dvd drive, it does not show anything in the drive. However, if I put my Video Game Battlefield 1942 into the dvd, then I can see the dvd number as well as Battlefield 1942 CD 1 in the Explorer screen. This happens with both drives.

8. valis

valis Moderator

but it show up in windows explorer as a dvd disk? With the correct title?

9. jlabit

jlabit Thread Starter

No, with a movie in the player, explorer does not show anything in the drive. With any type of data disk it does. With the movie in the player, this is what I see on Windows Explorer:

DVD RW Drive(F:)

10. valis

valis Moderator

but other dvd's from netflix play fine in that drive, correct?

Starting to get stumped here, as the tree said to the lumberjack.

11. jlabit

jlabit Thread Starter

I have one that I have only watched one time, a new one. I put it in the dvd player and it fires up just like it is supposed to. Can't believe I didn't think to do that before. It has to be a defective movie from Netflix. Thanks for your help in finding the problem. Going to mark as solved. Thanks again.

12. valis

valis Moderator

well, didn't really help all that much.....still curious as to why it works in other rigs, though....that points to the dvd not being broken, but more likely some file association gone wonky on the main rig........

13. jlabit

jlabit Thread Starter

The Netflix Movie works great on my wife's desktop, and on her laptop. Don't understand, but don't know what to do about it.

14. valis

valis Moderator

but dangit, you had to mark it unsolved, didn't you? :)

quite frankly, I've no clue right now, but I'm also dividing time between this, my 6 year old trying to set up his pup tent in the living room, and the Cotton Bowl.......give me a few, and hopefully someone else will chime in as well.......

15. jlabit

jlabit Thread Starter

I have tried a second dvd in my computer and it works also. I have several hundred. I am going to pull out a good stack and try them. If they all work, I will remark this solved. Just makes me curious why that disk does not work on my machine, but works on my wife's, which is a much older unit.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/973298

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice