1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Digital Camera Battery Life is Horrible

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by smooth, Jun 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. smooth

smooth Thread Starter

First Name:
    Garrett
    Hi everyone :D

I have a HP Photosmart camera, but can't remember the exact model number.

I love the camera, except that it is horrible on batteries. I tried some rechargeable batteries to begin with, but they would last very short periods of time before needing to be charged again. I now use just regular Duracel batteries, but they too are drained very quickly.

What are the recommended types of batteries to use for digital cameras? I have googled it and have found pages with different answers. One site saying to use NiCd, and another saying to use NiMH.

Anyone have any luck with batteries for their camera? Mine takes AA batteries. Thanks for any suggestions :D(y)

2. slipe

slipe

NiMH batteries will give you at least twice the shots you get with alkaline batteries.

If you have anything else you might want to order from Amazon so you get the free shipping I think these would give you decent service: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000JC8Z9M...e=380333&creativeASIN=B000JC8Z9M&linkCode=asn 2650 mAh is at the upper end of the current power range and would probably give you more like three times the shots of a set of alkalines.

You usually have to go through a couple of charge cycles before NiMH batteries are giving you full power, but they don’t have a memory like NiCad batteries. So there is no need to discharge them all the way before recharging.

3. smooth

smooth Thread Starter

First Name:
    Garrett
    Thanks for the response slipe :)

I'll definitely pick up that charger (y)

Edit: Just actually read the post. lol So they don't have to be discharged before charging, but do I have to go through the cycles on the initial charge before use?

4. slipe

slipe

Not necessarily. Just don’t make a judgment about how many shots you will get until they have been recharged a couple of times.

5. pedroguy

pedroguy

I was having the same problem with my wife's Olympus.Changed to rechageable lithium ion battery pack,3v 1100mah.Tremendous difference.

6. smooth

smooth Thread Starter

First Name:
    Garrett
    Gotcha. :) I picked up these at my local Walmart today, only 10.87 :) Came with the charger. They aren't pre-charged though like the ones on the site.

7. slipe

slipe

Does the package give the mAh? Probably not as high as the Sunpack batteries, but they will still give you a lot more battery life than alkalines.

8. smooth

smooth Thread Starter

First Name:
    Garrett
    I'll have to check that out. I am hoping they have really close to the rating of the other batteries, but if not, then I haven't opened them yet an can return them :)

Another quick question. Is it possible to overcharge the batteries? It seems like cell phones have a problem with that, where if you charge your cellphone all the time, the battery actually becomes weaker.

9. slipe

slipe

Overcharging shouldn’t be a problem. Many chargers have a trickle charge after the batteries are charged and a few years ago some chargers had too strong a trickle charge. It probably isn’t a problem these days. Even then you had to leave them in for weeks to cause theoretical damage and I’m not sure it was anything but geek angst.

I had a cellphone charger that would keep a spare charged. I would leave it sometimes for months with a green light and never saw any particular deterioration. They might have made bad chargers but I never got one.

I wouldn’t worry about the mAh. I was just curious. When I got my first camera that took AAs, 1600 was the latest and greatest. And those were at least twice the photos as alkalines. There isn’t much on the market anymore under 2300 except some new Sanyo Eloop batteries that have a very low self-discharge that are 2000.

10. smooth

smooth Thread Starter

First Name:
    Garrett
    I looked at the package, and they are 2100's :D So I think they will definitely do the trick. :)

Thanks for all the info about overcharging, I have always wondered about that. (y)

Thank you for all of your help, I really appreciate it, and will using my batteries, looking forward to more picture taking with less battery changing :D(y)

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/584463

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice