Solved: Dimesion 2350 Shuts down on it's own.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

svelay1983

Ok I have a Dell Dimension 2350. It will decide to shut down on it's own. I can tell it actually shuts down because windows doesn't try and run a chkdsk when I start it back up. Anyway I made sure to check my power settings and everything is set to Never shutdown or hibernate. It is also not hooked to the internet or a network. Just left it on doing nothing for about an hour and a half, came back and it was off. Any clues....maybe psu issue? This just started out of the blue no special installs were done and this computer has never been able to access the internet. ***

***It actually only accesses the internet when I run Windows Updates.

Sounds like a bad motherboard. On the Dell Optiplex GX260s they had a lot of problems with the capacitors going bad and the machine would randomly shut down...no checkdisk on bootup. Bad capacitors will look swollen or have a rust-like substance on the tops of them.

Is the PC under warranty?

svelay1983

no warrenty this computer has got a bit old. I will open the computer up after lunch and check the board. probally have a post up by 1 or 1:30 central time.

I would check to see if it is heat related, sounds like it may be an older computer, you need to unplug the computer let sit for a few minutes and open it up. check to see if there is allot of dust around the cpu and any fan on the case. If it looks bad then you need to clean. most people recommend caned air, sure it works but if you really want your computer cleaned do the following.

This is what you want to do.
Go to radio shack or a similar store and buy a can of PCB cleaner (printed circuit board) Matter of fact buy 2, they are about $10 per can.

Making sure the computer is already unplugged put it on the table (practice general ESD procedures)
(You do not need to take it all apart can leave everything in if you want and spray, I just say this because this is what I do every 6 months.)
Take it all apart. pull all cards out, (if you never done this before and you have a digital camera take a few pictures so you will know where to put things back, but it is pretty simple and we can answer install questions)

Take that can and spray everything really good, (this is totally safe)
Make sure you get
1. the inside of the power supply really good.
2. all the inside of the slots on the motherboard really good
3. the fans really good

(again you do not need to take the cpu/heatsink out, just make sure you clean the fan and heatsink Really good by spraying it)
Take the cpu and heatsick apart from each other clean both with PCB cleaner. Clean the old thermal paste from the heatsink and CPU heatsick
Best guide on the net to show you "exactly how to apply new thermal paste
http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_s...structions.htm

Let sit over night,

Next day when installing the cards back into the slots, install them and remove them 4-5 times each, this will clean oxidation ext off.
Same for plugging the wires/cables back 4-5 times.

Put it back together and pray.

That's about the best possible way to get the cleanest computer.

svelay1983

well I work at a plant nursery so as you can imagine...pc's come last. As it is a plant nursery I clean these things out every 3-6months...I am going to clean it anyway though....this place gets dusty within days. I am opening the computer as we type.

svelay1983 said:
well I work at a plant nursery so as you can imagine...pc's come last. As it is a plant nursery I clean these things out every 3-6months...I am going to clean it anyway though....this place gets dusty within days. I am opening the computer as we type.
Ah, then you have a lot of moisture in the air being a plant nursery. you may also want to try pulling the cards out as I mentioned above. probably oxidation inside of the slots. remove them and install them like 7-8 times to clean them off, do this to any card you may have installed +ram.
Good luck.

It could also be that the system is automatically restarting in response to a Blue Screen stop error. If you're not around to see it there is no way of knowing.

You can get it to halt and display stop error codes by going to Control panel - system - advanced - startup and recovery (click settings) and untick the box that says "automatically restart". Click OK all the way back out to the desktop.

If it is a BSoD causing the restart next time you will be able to read the message off the screen so as know where to start looking for the fault.

Also, as well as looking at the Windows power settings have you had a look at the BIOS power settings?

svelay1983

looks like a small metal capacitor (maybe) right next to the battery blew. Silicon like hardened gel coming out of the right side. Think that may be the problem.

svelay1983

I have it set not to restart when there is a BSOD or serious error. So it can't be that.

svelay1983 said:
looks like a small metal capacitor (maybe) right next to the battery blew. Silicon like hardened gel coming out of the right side. Think that may be the problem.
If it's leaking, it's dead and all it takes is one blown capacitor. I've seen this issue quite a bit and your symptoms sounded exactly like what I had to deal with.

svelay1983 said:
Well if you have anything coming out of a capacitor then its not good. Its pretty much done for. In some cases you can have the cap replaced but not something recommend you trying. Boards are multilayer and the slightest overheating due to a solder iron can damage it permanently. Let a tech decide if it is possible to replace the cap if you want to go that route.
But heck, nowadays you can get a new mobo,cpu,case,power supply for $200 and reuse your old hardware. The only issue is being a dell computer you would need to buy a new OS ($130) on top of that price.
Then you would look at the issue of getting the Information of that hard drive.

svelay1983

Well I know that a blown capacitor means the mobo is trash and I know how much Dell charges for mobo replacements so....this computer is trash...I'll save the necessary hardware. I would like to thank everyone for there help. Had alot of responses on this one.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online