1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: 'Direct CD' is a problem

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by Robert1, Mar 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Robert1

Robert1 Thread Starter

When I start my computer a balloon comes up as follows:

Devices or applications disabled\'Direct CD' will cause Windows to become unstable. Windows had prevented these drivers from loading. Click here for more details.

When I click on this balloon a window comes up with the heading 'Help and Support Center' with the following message:

DirectCD
    Roxio, Inc.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Issue Description:
    A driver is installed that causes stability problems with your system. This driver will be disabled. Please contact the driver manufacturer for an update that is compatible with this version of Windows.
    Contact Information:
    Available Patch: http://www.roxio.com/en/jhtml/xpupdate.jhtml?location=update
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Note:This information is subject to change.
    © 2004 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. Terms of use.

I also get another balloon: 'You have files waiting to be written to the CD. To see the files now, click this balloon'

When I click the balloon a list of photos come up that I had been trying (unsuccessfully) to install to a CD. I don't want to see these photos anymore and I don't want to save them to a CD - I found out it was easier and faster just to save them to a flash drive. But in the meantime I now have this problem that comes up every time I start up my machine.

Since then I have deleted the program 'CD Direct' but that has not stopped these things from coming up.

If anyone can tell me how to remove the files causing these things to come up I would appreciate it.

Thank you,
    Robert

2. moper

moper

How did you delete it?
    What version of Windows?
    What version of Roxio?

How to uninstall in XP: http://kb.roxio.com/search.aspx?URL=/content/000086CR&PARAMS=set-locale=en

How to uninstall in Vista: http://kb.roxio.com/search.aspx?URL=/content/kb/Creator/000127CR&PARAMS=

For the notice about files waiting to be written, just right click your CD drive in Windows Explorer or My Computer, and click, 'Delete Temporary Files'.

moper

3. Robert1

Robert1 Thread Starter

Thanks Moper for coming back to me.

I managed to get rid of the temp files by following your instructions, and that is a major relief!

I also went to the Roxio website and went through the rather lengthy list of instructions therein, and did find a 'sonic' folder (which I deleted) in the regedit.

However the 'DirectCD...' balloon still comes up on startup. I did a search for 'directcd' hoping to find the file where these words were being preserved, but no luck there either.

Well, at least the balloon goes away on its own, and I am willing to live with that, so I will mark the thread as 'solved'.

Thanks again, Moper, I much appreciate your assistance,
    Robert

4. moper

moper

In Add-Remove Programs, is Direct CD listed, maybe with the name Adaptec?

If your comfortable editing the registry, this should help: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=315345

I would first create a restore point, and also, export each key before you edit it.

moper

5. Robert1

Robert1 Thread Starter

Good call Moper!

I did indeed find 'Adaptec ...' in the 'Add/Remove Programs', and having removed that program the offending balloon no longer appears! So that saved me from having to go into the registry, which is pretty chancy, glad I don't have to do that!

A perfect solution to the problem!

By the way, the machine is starting up a lot faster now, so some of the other things we did to solve these problems inadvertently helped in another way as well!

Thanks again Moper for your help!

Robert

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/913672

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice