1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Directories Getting Restored

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by MOBI, Jan 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MOBI

MOBI Thread Starter

A short time after deleting directories, they reapper (without data).

The directories in question are subdirectories of "C:\My Download Files\_Pending"

2. jiml8

jiml8 Guest

You are not downloading anything? Sounds to me like a malware problem. Download a copy of hijack this from here, and install it to its own folder on your C: drive.

Then run it and post the resulting log here. I personally don't like chasing through these files, but when you post the log someone will come along and help you.

3. MOBI

MOBI Thread Starter

====================================
    Thanks for your time. No downloads occur or are related to this problem. The log is attached (I think).

Attached Files:

4. jiml8

jiml8 Guest

The system looks clean to me. I'll bet that directory is being created by mass downloader.

5. MOBI

MOBI Thread Starter

Thanks ... I will check it out.

6. MOBI

MOBI Thread Starter

I renamed the "_Pending" directory to "00_Pending". So far, no changes. After making the rename, I looked in the Process Explorer for a File Handle containing "_Pending" and found: \BaseNamedObjects\PnP_No_Pending_Install_Events. However, I do not know how to find this in the SERVICES program (it apparently has something to do with a "userenv" setting). Any suggestions?

7. MOBI

MOBI Thread Starter

I downloaded two items; one with MASS DOWNLOADER and one without. No changes to the directory. I installed a program with no changes to the directory. At this point, having renamed the directory seems to have affected the results. Very strange!

8. MOBI

MOBI Thread Starter

Ok ... no luck. Something restored the directory "_Pending" as a subdirectory of "My Download Files".

9. MOBI

MOBI Thread Starter

Time for closure ... a system problem occurred and I had to re-install XP. "No more problems" as identified in this thread. :)

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/435975

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice