1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Directory Association W7

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by lamebrain, Jan 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lamebrain

lamebrain Thread Starter

Hi All. Out of the blue a very annoying fault has reared its ugly head.Grrr. When I try to open a Directory or sub-Directory with a double-click as normal, I get the following message..."This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action.Please install a program or,if one is already installed,create an association in the Default Programs control panel." If I use right-button and Open then that's fine and so on down the directory chain.A file,whether inside or outside a directory opens properly. Searching on keywords "Default Programs gives me no help.
    Assistance would be much appreciated( in plain English-speak) as my 74 yr old brain can't handle heavy duty tech-speak.:p

2. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

Try this fix: DirectoryFix

Unzip the fix and extract the .REG file to the Desktop. Right-click the .REG file and choose Merge. Note that you need to be an Administrator to apply this fix.

Reboot the computer.

If the fix only opens as a text file, right-click it and select Open With > Choose Program... Then, select the Registry Editor.

If the Registry Editor is not in the list, browse to C:\WINDOWS and select regedit.

3. PedroHin

PedroHin

EDIT: Oh wow, Phantom010! I didn't see your post.

I think this was a windows update that broke a very small percentage of PCs. I was fortunate enough to find a fix. It requires some registry fixing.

If you know how to create a registry file with notepad, below is the data which should go into it.

If you don't know how, start notepad, copy the text below into the notepad window. Whn you save the file, you must save it with a .REG extension. The only way this works with notepad is to put "quotes" around the filename, like this -- "explorerfix.reg"

===start copy BELOW (not including) this line==============

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell\opennewprocess]
    "MUIVerb"="@shell32.dll,-8518"
    "MultiSelectModel"="Document"
    "Extended"=""
    "LaunchExplorerFlags"=dword:00000003
    "ExplorerHost"="{ceff45ee-c862-41de-aee2-a022c81eda92}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell\opennewprocess\command]
    "DelegateExecute"="{11dbb47c-a525-400b-9e80-a54615a090c0}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell\opennewwindow]
    "MUIVerb"="@shell32.dll,-8517"
    "MultiSelectModel"="Document"
    "OnlyInBrowserWindow"=""
    "LaunchExplorerFlags"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell\opennewwindow\command]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\opensearchfilefolderresult\shell\open\command]
    @=""
    "DelegateExecute"="{99969a8f-27e6-4adf-ab9f-b5b5e90d4733}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell\explore\command]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\WMP11.AssocFile.m3u\shell\Enqueue\command]
    "DelegateExecute"="{45597c98-80f6-4549-84ff-752cf55e2d29}"

===stop copy ABOVE (not including) this line==============

4. Phantom010

DirectoryFix is a registry edit that will do everything automatically for you. :)

5. PedroHin

PedroHin

I'll have to put that in my bag of tricks :)

6. lamebrain

lamebrain Thread Starter

Thanks guys for your input but have tried both methods without success.Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't W7 have a self-repair kit built in? I seem to remember an option somewhere asking if a repair was required or perhaps I just dreamed it :confused:

7. PedroHin

PedroHin

The self repair I am not sure about. Hopefully, someone else has an answer for that.

On the fix I suggested, I forgot to mention:

The file needs to be launched after it is made. Windows should ask if you want to add this to the registry (you should answer 'yes'). Then you should reboot the PC.

8. Phantom010

Did you restart your computer?

9. lamebrain

lamebrain Thread Starter

Yes,I did both methods fully including rebooting(twice just in case).Ha,I've just remembered the repair function(if it works) is got by booting from the System Disk which gives an option to repair.Will give that a try.Bye the way this .this problem has started since I uninstalled Tuneup Utilities 2011 which turned out to be a fake(don't buy from China).

10. Phantom010

11. lamebrain

lamebrain Thread Starter

Phantom010.I take your point re"""CRAPWARE""" but let me just say in my defense that I consider Norton """TOTAL CRAPWARE""". Being on a meagre State Pension doesn't give me much leeway so I have to pick out the least bad of the aforementioned CW and so far even with Trojans and Spyware in abundance on the web(especially in sites where I go,nudge nudge :rolleyes:) the particular free progs I use handle themselves very well...Malwarebytes for attacks of the Virus type,Advanced SystemCare for general cleaning,and Avast for online protection...so please don't mock the afflicted.
    Anyway to return to the subject in hand,I rebooted from my System disk and yes,it does give an option to "Repair Computer" but it's just a basic and pretty useless way to go.
    So,to sum up.I guess I'll have to tolerate the niggles until I re-do my Windows.
    Thanks all for trying. (y)

12. Phantom010

Dear Sir, I'm not mocking you in any way. And like you, I also don't recommend Norton.

The term "crapware" is to qualify the type of software that has caused so much grief to members of this forum.

Unfortunately, you had to learn it the hard way, on your own computer. My comments and links on the subject will hopefully steer you and others away from registry tweaking software. They do absolutely nothing to improve your computer's performance nor fix anything. You'll only end up crippling programs and the operating system itself.

Glad you got your problem resolved.

Regards,

Phantom010

13. lamebrain

lamebrain Thread Starter

Don't take my jocular remark re: mocking the afflicted seriously...it's only a light-hearted phrase which has no sinister connotations. (y)
    Also,and here's another one, you are preaching to the converted as I have been heavily into computers since the days of a)Commodore 64 b)Atari 8-bit c)Atari ST d) Commodore Amiga and then through via Atari PC10 IBM Pet to the modern systems which I build and have built since the early 90's,but my expertise on the s/ware side is more limited as in my school days in the 1940's binary and machine code were none-existent so I answer to "Dino" as in Dinosaur. ;)

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!