1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[Solved] Directory names and XP Home

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Johnluk, Jan 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Johnluk

Johnluk Thread Starter

Hi how are you??? I am having a problem accessing a directory on Windows XP Home. The directory name is 4.0.xx. It is part of a virus removal procedure. The procedure is as follows:

1. Click START | RUN, type command and hit ENTER
    2. Change to the VirusScan engine directory:

WinNT/2K/XP - Type cd progra~1\common~1\networ~1\viruss~1\4.0.xx and hit ENTER

3. Type scan.exe /adl /clean and hit ENTER

I can get down to the viruss~1 directory but when I try to get to the 4.0.xx directory it says it is an invalid directory. I can do a DIR from the viruss~1 directory and can see the 4.0.xx directory but I just can't get to it to do step #3???

I have even created another directory called 7.b.bb as a test and can not access it via the Command Window… is there a problem with a directory called x.x.xx??? Or is there another way of getting to that directory??? Why would McAfee have this as a removal procedure if you can’t access it???

Thanks.

2. Dan O

Dan O

It should not be a problem. Try adding quotes around the name.

e.g., CD "4.0.xx"

3. Johnluk

Johnluk Thread Starter

When I use the double quotes I get "parameter format not correct" and when I use single quotes I get 'Invalid Directory'???

4. Johnluk

Johnluk Thread Starter

I found a work around… I tried changing directories to \progra~1\common~1\networ~1\viruss~1

then I typed 4.0.xx\scan.exe /adl /clean

and IT WORKED..... Still not sure why I could not change directory to 4.0.xx but this bypass serves my needs.

5. Dan O

Dan O

Cool, thanks for letting us know.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/111463

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice