Solved: DirectX Problem HELP PLEASE!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

IrishTexan

I am using Win982E. My video card is 3D Blaster Banshee PCI/AGP by Creative Technology.

I have Direct X 4.08.01.0881 installed; however, my video card does not support DirectX; so I can't play any of my games since I installed it. This was indicated when I ran DXDIAG. The message was "Several files are uncertified".

The Main Driver is listed as 3dbbw9x.drv, Version 4.10.01.0110.

Creative Technology was no help, as they offered no updated drivers for the Blaster Banshee.

Do I need to have DirectX on my machine? Can I get back to what I originally had before installing it?

When I try to play games (which I had previously had no problem with), they will not start.. I just get sent back to my desktop.

I've read through all the messages here, regarding DirectX, but couldn't find a solution to my problem.

I will be so grateful for help with this.

As you may have guessed, I'm not all that savvy about these things, and hope that you will use simple language, if you decide to help me.:(

By the way, I read in one message about a site where you can uninstall DirectX, but when I went there, I couldn't make sense of anything there.

Before trying to uninstall the DirectX I would like to tell you that it could result in some problems(but thats only in few cases).

One more thing, you said that you found a site which gave the description as to uninstalling DirectX. Could you please post that link here?

And from MS site, they say that DirectX cannot be uninstalled...:D
But will try to solve this issue.

I would also suggest you to uninstall and re-install the video card drivers. Just for a trial.

:)

IrishTexan

Thanks, so much, for your speedy response. I checked out the link you provided .. but wondered if it matters that I have DirectX 4.08 .. and they refer only to DirectX 6.0?

IrishTexan

I'm not sure how to uninstall/reinstall video card drivers. Could you walk me through it?

Thanks again...:)

This is the newest banshee driver I can find, but it's only dx7
you can give it a try, not sure if it will work better with 8 or not
http://www.voodoofiles.com/1852

Unless your playing older glide games I really would suggest a video card upgrade, with 3dfx out of business you will never see new drivers for you card.

IrishTexan

Correction: I have DirectX8.1 installed.

Brian: I went to the site (voodoo), but when I downloaded the driver, it did not give me an .exe file but rather what looks like a page with the letter A in the center. When I clicked on it, it took me to my zip program, which said there was nothing to unzip. I tried repeatedly to redownload/install. Am I doing something wrong?

pvc9: Is this a safe program to uninstall DirectX? Would I have to uninstall it before installing a new driver?

Sorry to be such a dummy. I really do appreciate your help.
Obviously, I need all the help I can get.
:confused:

I just downloaded the file and it was fine, it's a zip file containing a readme.txt and the .exe driver install file.
Try the download again, maybe try right click and save as rather than just clicking the link

You could also try with the one that Brian suggested.

About removing the program I dont think there is anything suggested more than this for the current ver you are using now -

DirectX 8.1 Beta: Sometimes the uninstallation of DirectX 8.1 Beta works with the DXB 2.0 Beta 3 and sometimes it doesn't according to different mails from users. With a newer version of the DXB it always works.
Try it and see what happens!

IrishTexan

OK.. Here goes:

The DXBuster worked! I uninstalled DX8.1 .. then installed DX6; however, there are missing files (According to DXDiag) so I reinstalled it, but still have the same missing files. Was it a bad download? Should I install DX7? If so, where can I find it to download?

As for the Banshee driver; How do I install it? When I try to update drivers, it only lets me choose from the ones they have listed, or says I can obtain them from a disk. The driver from Voodoo was "unzipped and installed", but I have no idea where.

Sorry to be such a dummy! :confused:

IrishTexan

This is the information I got for DXDiag:

* Several files (dsound.dll, dsound.vxd, dinput.dll, etc.) are missing! You should reinstall DirectX to put them on your system.

* Several files (sb16snd.drv, sbawe32.drv, sbfm.drv) are uncertified, which means that they have not been tested by Microsoft's Windows Hardware Quality Labs. You may be able to get a certified driver from the manufacturer of the hardware device.

*No direct music ports were found.
*No input devices detected.

In searching documentation in the uninstaller, it suggested that after uninstalling DX, it should be reinstalled from your Win982E Disk.

HELP! How do I do that? I looked on the disk's menue, but didn't find anything about DirectX or a file to install.

Can someone walk me through this?????? :(

Yes, they are the files which are a part of the DirectX package.

Well if you want to download DirectX 7 then use the below link -
DX 7

Hope this helps...:)

IrishTexan

I went to the link you provided, but noticed that it is only an update to DX7... not the full program. Do you have a link to the full DX7 download?

Thanks.... :)

Oh! Sorry about that. Shall see if I can find one for the full program and get back.

But, I'm not really sure if I'll get the link as most of the sites only have links to the main MS site from where the file can be downloaded. So its not impossible but needs some work to do :D

Shall get back soon...:)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online