[SOLVED] disable onboard VGA

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

LOOY

Hi..Got myself a new graphics card as at the mo all I have is onboard VGA which share's my ram.

When I put it in the screen was blank when I booted up. So I took it out and booted up again and all was well...

So I went into my bios settings and the disable onboard VGA was grey'd out. Next the jumper settings, but no joy there...

SO WHAT NEXT:(

L.(",)

have you gone into the device manager and to the display adapters
select the adapter and go into properties and disable the video in all profiles

LOOY

Hi thib4..
Not to sure how that would make a difference. Will try it though. Do you mean do what you said then try installing the graphic card again. Also would that inable the VGA setting in the Bios as well.

L.(",)

another thing that you might want to check is the video card you bought, made by the same company as the onboard video
(such as both ati video)

this could cause the video not to work when you put the new video card in the computer

LOOY

Hi thib4.....
When you say ATI, would that be the same as AGP.
as my pc is not to new. I have to use A PCI Graphics Card. So I hope thats what you mean by ATI.

Thanks M8Y...... L.(",)

:cool: Depending on the brand of the card, you might have to install the drivers before you insert the new card. Try this:

1) With the card out of the computer and windows running, insert the CD in the drive. It should start automatically, if it doesn't open Windows Explorer, select your CD-Rom drive and double click on the SETUP.EXE file or something similar.

2) Once the drivers are installed shut down the computer, leaving the CD in the drive.

3) Install the new card in an available PCI slot and plug in the monitor cable. (Make sure the power is off on the monitor before disconnecting/connecting cable)

4) Turn the computer on. The system will probably be using the standard VGA display (640x480, 16 color). The CD should be running giving you the necessary options needed to complete installation.

5) When prompted restart the computer, go to Display Properties/Settings and adjust as needed. Don't forget to remove the CD from the drive.

Hope this helps! KW1

LOOY

Just one thing B4 I try that. Should I disconnect the lead from the M/board to the old connecter of the monitor .

THANKS

L.(",)

I don't know if this will help but here is my story.

I had a old Intel motherboard from a Sony computer that was a pain to add a pci video card.

I got a lot of tips about the drivers but no to much about getting the motherboard to hand over control.

which it did not since the monitor still worked connected to the motherboard.
And the motherboard would still use the video memory addresses.

I finally found the manual that just said the motherboard would automatically hand over control once installed.
the motherboard had no jumpers or settings for this.

So thinking to myself this just ain't working.
I first tried resetting the cmos jumper thinking that would do it.
but that was a no go either.
so finally I reflashed the Bios with the last update which I had already updated it with.
But I thought it might turn out a little differently now that I had a PCI video card in there.
And this seemed to work.

TheGorx
http://www.thegorx.net/Windows/index.htm

LOOY

Thanks for all that info. But you see when the new Graphics card is in I can not see any thing on my screen as it is blank. I went to the link you give me but still not sure as to what to do and how to Flash the BIOS.

L.(",)

:p Hello LOOY,

That shouldn't be necessary. I would try leaving it connected and if it doesn't work, then unplug it. Once you get the new card up and running you can disable the onboard video. Also check in the BIOS settings to see if you have an option such as "load PCI/AGP, AGP/PCI first. Also the following BIOS options have to be disabled for certain types of adapters to function correctly: Video BIOS shadow or cache, VGA Palette Snoop or DAC Snoop, Hidden Refresh and/or Byte Merge. By the way, what is the brand of the new card and what operating system are you using?

LOOY

Hi, re your last. I have replugged and tried the advice you have given but to no avail. I have also tried to put the new card in and left the old card in, also, tried the removal of the old card.

So far, the screen has not re-booted and nothing is happening.

Is there anything else that you can advise me on as to be able to get this systen running.

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
With just the new card installed, and the monitor securely attached to it, what happens when you turn the monitor on first....then the computer? Any beep codes?

LOOY

Hi,

when i switch on i get beeps, (x8). Then i get beeps (x2). then a little while later, i get beep (x1), this, i assume, is going into scan mode, as i have closed down in correctly.

Is this of any help.

Many thanks

Mr confused

:confused: :confused:

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Are you SURE you have the video card inserted ALL the way into the PCI slot? Try another slot if you have a different one to choose from.

And I'm a bit confused...when you say you took the 'old card' out....how big is the old card? Are the connectors on it the same as the connectors on the 'new' card? Or is the old one a tiny thing?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online