1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: disable rear sound output?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DougMacp, Sep 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DougMacp

DougMacp Thread Starter

Hi All, I hope someone can help - I have the Asus M3N78 Pro motherboard running Vista 64 with Realtek HD Audio, v.6.0.1.5745 which is the most recent driver. When I connect headphones to the front audio I get sound through the headphones ok but it doesn't stop the sound from the rear output. How can I set it so that when I plug headphones into the front sound port it auto-disables the sound from the rear? In the Realtek sound managers 'device advanced settings' I've set the radio button where it says 'mute the rear output device,when a front headphone is plugged in' but I still get rear sound when I use the 'phones in the front output. The BIOS settings just allow the switch from HD audio/AC97 and changing this doesn't make any difference.

I'd be grateful of any advise or help. Thanks!
    :confused:

2. Gr3iz

Gr3iz Mark

Did you reboot after making the changes? I've found that I had to do that on an Asus board when changing from 2 channel stereo to 5.1 channel sound.

3. DougMacp

DougMacp Thread Starter

Sadly yes i have rebooted, but the problem still persists

4. DougMacp

DougMacp Thread Starter

I've been all over the internet with this query but I can't find a way around it - I'll remove the driver then reinstall - here's hoping.........

5. DougMacp

DougMacp Thread Starter

I got a reply from another Forum - he thinks that it may be the front jack on the case is AC97 compliant and not HD audio,therfore the motherboard doesn't disable the rear speaker as it's not found an alternate HD audio source. I don't have any specs for the chassis so have no clue how to tell if the output is HD audio or AC'97 but I'll check it out.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/864443