1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[SOLVED] Disabling second hard drive?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Tara99, Apr 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Tara99

Tara99 Thread Starter

Hi,

The second hard drive on this computer is slowly dying. I don't store anything on it, and I'll be mostly using a different computer in about a month. I just want to avoid having to mess around with scandisk the next time there are a lot of bad sectors. (Well, unless that's a dumb idea...) Can I just use the device manager (Windows 98) to remove the disk drive, or is it more complicated than that?
    :eek:

Thanks!

2. xavier57

xavier57

Hello! First of all, are you sure it is a second hard drive? Maybe it is just a hard drive with two partitions. In case ther are two physical hard drives, removing the defective hard drive is very simple: Open the case and take a look inside. if you see two hard drives, just remove the cable and the power connection attached to the bad one. You may leave the bad hard drive hanging there doing nothing, it won't hurt. Try and reply to see what happens. Good Luck, Xavier57

3. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Go to the bios setup and find that drive and set it to NONE.

By the way, if the hard drive was dying, it wouldn't matter that it had two partitions ;)

4. Tara99

Tara99 Thread Starter

AcaCandy, I just did what you'd suggested & it works, so thank you :)

5. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

You're welcome. Glad to have helped.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/223157

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice