1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Disconnected Firewall

Discussion in 'General Security' started by Laurie52, Apr 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Laurie52

Laurie52 Thread Starter

My daughter is having problems with her computer. In her words:

Ok reciently spybot S&D was installed in my pc. everthing was fine as I was shutting just about to shut it down. Then a spybot message popped up just as it was doing the fiinal shutdown. I wasnt on it for a couple of hours. When i restarted the computer I found that I could not connect to the internet anylonger.

I am using satilite (Wild Blue) using netgear. The netgear smart wizard will not come up. I cannot check the status of the connection either. that to will not come up. when I check the network connections it says "Disconnected Firewall". Dial-up will not work either cause it says the same thing. So basically im screwed on going online on my pc.

If there is anyone that can help please I need it. I did a system restore (didnt help). I tried unistalling and re installing the netgear stuff (wont do the second step of instolation). needless to say im very pissed.........

Its a put together comp
    winXP SP2 home
    P4 2ghz
    ATI radion (dont remember off hand)
    1gig ram

2. Laurie52

Laurie52 Thread Starter

Mother here.

To add to this. The Netgear used is WG111v3 My son has WildBlue satelitte router for both my computer and hers. He is not having any problems and neither am I. She uses AVG 7.5 and AdAware. My son installed the Spybot early yesterday and everything was fine until about 3:30 AM this morning. Only after the latest scan with it did this happen.
    The ONLY place she has been on the internet is "GoPets" for the last several days. It is a very safe site. She uses IE 7 as her browser as the site will not recognize FireFox.

She does not have HiJack This.

The Netgear box (showing any connection) comes up extremely brief...hardly anything and then nothing. No icons shows up in the taskbar as normally would. The Windows Firewall in Control Panel is "on". In "Advanced" the boxes for the Dialup and Satellite are checked.

The Dial Up provider is separate from WildBlue and we have had it for many years for the business and personal use. That BOTH are disconnected and getting the same message is strange.

Could this be a trojan? But where? She rarely goes anywhere else except to GoPets and has only been there for the past several weeks. The only new software downloaded was the Spybot S&D a couple of days ago...and nothing was changed after installation.

Then this....

3. lunarlander

lunarlander

So I guess you access the internet using Internet Explorer. Maybe you should determine if only IE is affected. Try installing Firefox and see if you can access the internet through it. Then that would pinpoint that only IE is affected.

4. Laurie52

Laurie52 Thread Starter

No Dial up to try out this idea.

No Satellite connection either. Both are "out". Not working.

I have an older version of FireFox on a backup disk to install. BUT this would not be an IE 7 issue would it?

5. lunarlander

lunarlander

Try that backup of firefox, I'm just trying to find out if 'no internet' is limited to IE not working.

6. Laurie52

Laurie52 Thread Starter

Solved....itself.

She just turned it on after several hours of being off....and..... In her words:
    When she tried reinstalling it before (in fact a couple of times), the process was stalled before the second steps could be finished. When she rebooted the machine after that stalling.....the computer acted like nothing happened...the installation failed. Wierd.

So she is able to use the Satellite connection to go online again.

Thanks for all the tips. Will keep these in mind....just in case.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/700561

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice