Solved: "Discuss Add On"

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

wloyer

Just got one of the new Asus desktops and have spent the last few days getting used to IE 10 and windows 8. Have been playing around with the safety settings. Was wondering about the "Discuss Add On" tab. What is it for and what does do? When to enable and when to disable? Have googled the hell out of it and no answers. When in doubt, go back to the pros who knows...
Cheers

Could you provide a bit more information? Where is this "tab" you see? Could you take a screenshot?

davehc

David
Retired Trusted Advisor
Isn't that something which the social networks put up? (Wiki: Facebook) I don't use any.

wloyer

Hello
Well it took me a few minutes to find it again but it is actually in the manage add ons in internet security. From there it is in the "run without permission" tab. This has no publisher and there is no info anywhere about this tab.

davehc

David
Retired Trusted Advisor
Totally lost!
Is this under the IE security tab? Which one at what level? How does the "discuss" pop up come into it?

wloyer

Sorry, my stupidity. Hit tools button, then manage add ons (which can be accessed from safety or manage add ons. Then where it says show, go to run without permission and that is where it is.
My com lingo gets a little crossed sometimes but it's getting better. I promise to read more stuff on here.
Cheers

davehc

David
Retired Trusted Advisor
Tks. I did look in there whilst searching. No such add on in mine?

Maybe, as I said, it is a social network add-on you have picked up?

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
I agree
If as you say you go Manage add-ons and then with toolbars and extensions selected you use the drop arrow to select Run without Permission - Neither do I see anything about Discuss add-on

Even with the option of right click to configure which information columns are show I still cannot get a discuss

If you mean DISCUSS ADD-ON is an option presented to you as is enable or disable or search for etc
then could you please send a screenshot

If it is the name of the actual add-on under run without permission as you say there is NO publisher listed then I am even more convinced we need a screenshot

right click on the white area click columns, then select
version,
used,
file,
class ID
and type-
now what is shown against this mysterious - discuss add-on please,
On the Type column - is it by any chance explorer bar

Run without permission means PRE-APPROVED and they are usually either part of IE or Windows itself and its allied software. Generally you would not need to change settings in run without permission.

davehc

David
Retired Trusted Advisor
I think I have tracked it down. It is an IE toolbar, with links to discussion websites. I believe if you enable it, you should se the toolbar.

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
That is why I asked for file in my post 8
Shdocvw.dll in turn hosts the Mshtml.dll component, as well as any other Active Document component (such as a Microsoft Office application) that can be loaded in place in the browser when the user navigates to a specific document type

I believe it to be connected with the Microsoft Office template shown above the entry

CLSID: {BDEADE7F-C265-11D0-BCED-00A0C90AB50F}
Name: &Discuss
Filename: Shdocvw.dll (MS file!)
Description: Microsoft Office "Web Discussions"
Explorer Bar for IE, see here

to reassure you - it is not anything to worry about if it was enabled I recommend you leave it enabled.
Those pre-approved add-ons are generally best left alone.

wloyer

thanks "Guys". Have had a few bad experiences over the years and am still learning... especially now with Win 8. Much appreciated!
Cheers

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
You are welcome
How do you like it - 8
Found your way round OK
Any questions more than pleased to offer a few tips if you wish

davehc

David
Retired Trusted Advisor
Just for interest. I could see it was disabled. Did you try to enable and, with what result?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online