1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Disk Boot Failure. Insert System Disk And Press Enter

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rammyboy, Nov 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rammyboy

rammyboy Thread Starter

Hi i have a self built pentium 4 pc that wont boot.
    When i turn it on there is a very long wait at the HP Invent screen (it is a ms 6577 ver 2.1 board) and when it finally gets to the black screen with the slashing dash in the top left hand corner it just flashes for around a minute before saying "DISK BOOT FAILURE. INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER"
    I have managed to get it to boot once by going into the recovery tool on the XP disk and using "FIXBOOT" but that only worked once and it wont work any more. The specs of the pc are,

PENTIUM 4 1.8GHZ 478
    MS 6577 VER 2.1 BOARD
    256 MB RAM
    20 GB WESTERN DIGITAL HARD DRIVE.

There is nothing to lose on this PC. Thanks in advance. Alex

2. norton850

norton850

This is one of those problems where it's best to proceed in a systematic way. The problem could be hardware or software. Let's start with simple hardware items

Make sure no floppies or CDs in their respective drives.
    Make sure hard drive is listed as one of the boot devices in BIOS.
    Make sure hard drive is recognized when you start up or in BIOS. If not check cables.

Post back if/when you have tried these.

3. rammyboy

rammyboy Thread Starter

Theres no disk in the floppy, It is listed in the bios, and all of the cables are seated correctly. Thanks

4. norton850

norton850

Using your windows installation CD you can do a repair install using the second repair option (not the recovery console)
    To further check your hard drive go to the drive manufacturer web site and download and run the diagnostic utility.

5. rammyboy

rammyboy Thread Starter

I have done a check using the diagnostic tool with Wetsern Digital and it says theres nothing wrong there but could you please instruct me on how to do thgis properly? I downloaded the tool on another pc, made the floppy and ran it but it didnt look as though it did anything to me?

Will this fix the slow HP boot screen or is that bios related?

6. norton850

norton850

Do you have a full copy of windows XP or just a recovery CD from HP? Do you have any diagnostic CDs from HP?

7. rammyboy

rammyboy Thread Starter

The motherboard was bought off ebay it is not in an actual HP machine so i dont have them but i do have full xp
    Thanks ill try reinstalling xp but i dont think this will speed up the 3 minute wait on the load up boot screen?

8. norton850

norton850

9. rammyboy

rammyboy Thread Starter

Hi, i have done a fresh install on the hard drive with xp pro and am getting
    "Invalid system disk, replace the disk and press any key to continue"
    Please help? Thanks

10. norton850

norton850

Just to recheck something what is the boot order in BIOS?

11. rammyboy

rammyboy Thread Starter

Cdrom Then Hd Then Floppy

12. norton850

norton850

It may not matter but what happens if you make the hard drive first?

13. rammyboy

rammyboy Thread Starter

still displays same message

14. SirKenin

SirKenin Banned

Western Digital. Hrmph. It has probably toasted itself. WD has a way of doing that on a more than regular basis. I would bet that if you replaced the HDD you wouldn't have any more problems.

You could also try zeroing the drive, but I think this is another typical WD mechanical failure.

You can dowload the WD Diags here.

15. rammyboy

rammyboy Thread Starter

What does "zeroeing" do to the drive and how do i do it? i saw it on the diagnostics disk when i was on it. Thanks

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/419986

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice