1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

{SOLVED}disk boot failure, insert system disk and press enter

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bear-san, Apr 19, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bear-san

bear-san Thread Starter

Help. I just built a new computer and I don't know what's going on. I keep getting the error: disk boot failure, insert system disk and press enter

Here's my scoop:
    -All new parts: IBM 30GB 7200rpm, P3 800EB, Aopen AX3S pro,128mb ram, 52x standard cd, standard floppy.
    -Boot sequence = a,c
    -I am trying to use a win98 boot disk (tried 2)
    -followed my motherboard's instructions exactly
    -CMOS and POST detect everything successfully

Everything checks out. What else is there? Could it be that my hard disk is dead???? A brand new Disk????

Thank you,

Allen

[email protected]
    -

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Is the floppy drive light coming on and going off at boot up? Is it trying to spin or anything?

And if the cdrom and hard drive are on the same cable make sure you have them jumpered correctly.

3. brianF

brianF

Make sure the floppy is enabled and set for 1.44 in the bios. Make sure cable is connected properly to the floppy, Try another cable

4. bear-san

bear-san Thread Starter

Thanks guys. But I tried that already. Actually, a few days a go I had all cables set with pin 1 on the right side. I found out that floppies use pin 1 on the left. I fixed that hoping that was my problem, but it didn't fix a thing.

I also tried different cable combinations. I couldn't place my cd and hard disk on the same cable because of the jumpers. There are no instructions that came with my jumpers. Bios read my floppy and other drives correctly. My current setup is:

master 1-->hard disk c:
    master 2-->cd rom cd rom (should I name it "e" in the boot sequence?)
    fdd--> floppy 3.5in/1.44 a:

All the cables seem to be correct. I have the floppy cable so that that slotted cable is on the floppy side. Pin one on the left.

Could this be my boot disk? What files exactly to I need. I made a boot disk from my windows 98.

Allen

5. bear-san

bear-san Thread Starter

Sorry, please use this address if you can help me out. Much appreciated.

[email protected]

6. ~Candy~

Your quote

I couldn't place my cd and hard disk on the same cable because of the jumpers. There are no instructions that came with my jumpers.

What does this mean?

7. Kento

Kento

8. bear-san

bear-san Thread Starter

Sorry, badly worded. I meant, I couldn't connect my both drives on the same cable because of the jumper setup. And my hardware didn't come with paper work on setting the jumpers for master and slave. I tried a few combo's and nothing worked. I gave up. However...last night I figured out the problem. Everyone that I've asked for help from is going to kill me... I didn't know that the cables were master/slave sensitive. All I did was switch to the last plug on the cable and everything worked... yay.

Now a new problem. My win2000, which I installed from a boot floppy, will no longer read disks. It always tells me, "this disk has not been formatted, would you like to format it now?" Odd... I think it my might be the drive permissions. Any ideas???

Allen

9. ~Candy~

Oh, I have a really good idea right now.....you probably don't want to hear it!!!!!! LOL!

I'll just bet you never stop to ask for directions while driving either?????

oh, and you'll have to explain the new problem a bit more....

10. bear-san

bear-san Thread Starter

You are right. I never ask for directions...haha..

I have tested several disk which I know are good. I origionally booted from my A drive, but now when I try to use it in my Win2000. I get the message "The disk in drive A is not formatted. Do you want to format now?" I also tried it from DOS. I got, "The disk media is not recognized. It may not be formatted."

I tried logging as admin, and there was no change. I'm not sure what could be causing this. My install was a FAT32. Any ideas?

Thanks..

11. Lurker1

Lurker1

Hi bear-san
    Try booting off a boot disk again. If it can read on boot your drive probably is ok. It may be a compatibility problem If you can read Microsoft boot disks and manufactures floppy disks and not ones you have created on a different computer. The head alignment on the other computer may be slightly off.

12. bear-san

bear-san Thread Starter

Problem solved.

This, unlike before, was 80% moron error but with an added 20% rare mechanical error or flawed design {kind of..}.

After trying everything I could with the floppy in the case, I gave up and started to head out the door for Tokyo to return it(only 30 min. away} when I decided to give it one last shot. I connected the drive outside the case and it worked!!! So I put back in nice and tight and it didn't work!!! Pulled it out again and it worked!!!! What's going here...

It turns out that because my Case has a built-in mock floppy entrance for which you slide the drive up behind, a flaw in the design {or moron installing the drive} could easily slide the drive in about a 1mm too far. This puts just the right pressure on the real floppy release button that the disk drops into the drive 95% of the way. Therefor it is read by bios, in the boot sequence, seeks normally, and let's you get 40% through a format before it produces and error. After moving the drive back a little it functions perfectly. A lesson to all.

Simply amazing. I literally fell over and laughed at myself. Thanks to all of you for your input. As I am, ehem, a tech support I know what it's like to sit back and witness the agony of human error. In my defense for being a dummy, I deal with internet connections not hardware installations. If I can ever help out, let me know. I am actually good at it... ha ha!!

Allen

13. ~Candy~

Ya know, I should have thought of that...I had the EXACT same thing happen to me with my new computer case, if that sucker isn't sitting just perfectly....that's what happens...BTW, when you move the case or eject a floppy a bit harder than normal, it may start doing it again.....I hate my case!

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/42245

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice