1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: disk boot failure insert system disk and press enter

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by brainwave89, Jun 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. brainwave89

brainwave89 Thread Starter

When I start my non-brand PC with an MSI mobo I receive the following message:
    disk boot failure insert system disk and press enter

At first I thought it was the SATA hard drive but when hooked up to another machine I can see all the files. When I went into the Phoenix/Award Bios all the drives are IDE drives. Not an SATA drive option anywhere. The computer was working great for a number of years. I hooked a brand new SATA drive and the BIOS does not recognize the drive.

What might be the problem and how might I use my hard drive again? Thanks!

2. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    Was the drive you are replacing IDE or SATA?
    How old is the motherboard, it may need a BIOS update?

3. brainwave89

Thank you Tanis.

SATA.
    It is over five years old.

Last week the computer was working great. So the version of the BIOS shouldn't make a difference.

The SATA ports passed without failure using PC-Check 6.21 software.

4. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

It's possible that an older MB with a 1st generation SATA controller (1.5Gb) won't be able to recognize a new 2nd Generation DATA drive (3.0Gb). Does the old SATA drive appear as an IDE drive? Some older boards list SATA drives as IDE.

What other IDE drives do you have? It's quite possible that you have the OS files on the SATA drive, but the actual System files that boot the system are on one of the IDE drives, and that's the one that has a problem.

5. brainwave89

Thank TheOutcaste.
    That might be possible but why can't my drive be recognized that is working great and that other computers can see?

I no other IDE drives. I do have a CD/DVD player that is connected via a IDE cable.

6. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

Have you tried a different Data cable?
    Also try a different port, but make sure it's enabled in the BIOS, and not set to NONE.

7. brainwave89

Thank you againTheOutcaste.

I have tried different cables with the same result. The SATA ports are enabled in the BIOS which I recently updated to the most recent version after the initial error message.

8. brainwave89

After replacing the CMOS battery and updating date, time and verifying the SATA controllers were enabled I received the sam error.
    I then switched the cable to another SATA controller (I had already done this previously) and it now works!

Thank you all for your help!

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/929705

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice