1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Disk Boot Failure

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by valerieleger, Nov 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. valerieleger

valerieleger Thread Starter

Hi Everyone,
    I have searched this forum for a few days now and read anything I could on my problem but I am still stumped.
    Here is my problem.
    I get the message when I boot the computer: "DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER"
    My Computer Information:
    HP Pavilion 061
    Windows XP Pro Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600

Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1

Here's what I tried so far:
    I checked to make sure all plugs were inserted correctly and firmly.
    I changed the boot sequence so it goes HDD, CD/DVD, then REMOVABLE... but it didn't seem to solve anything.
    I did a chkdsk and it said everything was fine.
    Did a complete virus check and came out clean.
    I did a system Recovery with the Recovery Tools CD.
    I've also been having problems with my cd/dvd, I have to open and close it a few times for it to finally read the content. This problem has been happening for about 6 months though.
    Right now it's a 50/50 chance of whether it will boot or not. Sometimes it boots fine, other times it will only boot from the Recovery Tools CD to load Windows.
    Once in Windows my computer works great.

If I missed anything I apologize.

2. adam3088

adam3088

Have you tried going into the recovery console and running a chkdsk /r?

Also is this a SATA or IDE drive? (does it have a ribbon cable or a thinner SATA one)

3. valerieleger

Yes, I forgot to add that in. I did a chkdsk and it said everything was fine.

I'm afraid I don't know what's a SATA or IDE drive. How do I know the difference? Do I look inside the computer?

4. adam3088

adam3088

5. valerieleger

Hi Adam, I looked in System Information under Componements / Storage and it says IDE

6. adam3088

adam3088

Have you got a spare IDE cable about that you could try and replace the current one with?

7. valerieleger

No I don't. :(

8. valerieleger

Do you think that is the problem?

9. adam3088

adam3088

There's a chance the cable's gone bad, if you could borrow a replacement from somewhere to test out that'd be useful.

10. valerieleger

Would that just effect how it boots up? Once I'm in Windows the computer is working fine. I don't have a problem there at all. It's just booting it up.

11. adam3088

adam3088

Faulty HDD data cables can cause some weird problems, had SATA cables in the past cause sporadic errors both booting and in Windows.

Cant say I'm completely convinced that's the problem, but ruling it out would be a good idea.

12. valerieleger

I just rebooted after installing the Service Pack 3 and a black window popped up C:\windows\system32\cmd.exe then another one popped up and a few of these lines appeared "error: the parameter is incorrect"
    I'm assuming this is a an error because of the Service Pack 3 and that it can be fixed by going to Microsoft. But I thought I would mention it in case it's not.

I also wanted to mention that booting takes a long time when it does boot, and my loading screen looks different than it used to before I had done a recovery.

I also noticed that after the recovery, all my old files can be found here:
    C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Administrator\My Documents

I thought I had formatted it and that it would clean everything and give me a clean install. What does this mean and is this normal?

13. valerieleger

I just finished reformatting the hard drive. What I had done wrong the last time was not clicking on the Advanced option where the destructive recovery was hidden.
    Now let's hope I don't have the DISK BOOT FAILURE message again. If so I will have to bring it to the technician since I assume it will mean a hardware problem that I can't fix by myself.

14. valerieleger

Well, the "DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER" still comes on at times.I tried to unplug the DVD/CD Drive to see if the problem would persist since the DVD CD Rom is not working properly with the DVD. But the plug won't come off.I'm wondering if I should replace the DVD/CD ROM... If so, can I buy any make for my PC or do HP Pavilion only take specific ones?

15. freakyautumn

freakyautumn

I had a similar problem; Windows could not recognize my disk. It ended up being that the IDE cable was bad. Are your DVD/CD drives on their own IDE, or a slave on the hard drive IDE cable?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1028904

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice