1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Disk Cleanup not responding need help

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by grandma77, Jan 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. grandma77

grandma77 Thread Starter

Hope someone can help. My friend's Disk cleanup tool stops responding while compressing old files. I found the article below at microsoft dealing with this problem.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/812248

I did the backup they said to do and the only step left is deleting the compressed files key. I have never done anything to a registry and it scares me. I just want some reassurance that this will not wreck her computer. Also, will her computer make a new compressed file key or is it gone forever?

I would really appreciate some help and understanding of why deleting this key will stop the problem. Thank you very much for the help. It is so deeply appreciated.

2. 1101doc

1101doc

If you're uncomfortable with Registry edits I say don't do it. Just leave the box unchecked for Compress Old Files and do the rest. It takes a little longer to start, but with the box unchecked it runs fairly quickly. Doing a periodical defrag compresses files as needed anyway. This is not a major issue for XP unless her disc is very (very) full.

3. grandma77

grandma77 Thread Starter

Her problem is we cannot get into disk clean up because it stalls when it is saying compress old files when the program is starting. So we cannot get into it to uncheck compress files or run disk cleanup. It won't work to get that far. So she cannot do it at all. Are you saying this program is not important to run? I defragmented her machine last night and it was very fragmented. I tried to run disk cleanup after the defrag and it still did not work. The only answer I have found is the one listed above. I don't mind deleting compressed files if someone can just tell me it won't wreck her machine....hope someone can help me. She has a 20GB harddrive and it has 9GB left. I was trying to get it cleaned up and straightened up so she can update to sp2.

4. Blackmirror

Blackmirror

5. Papermoon

Papermoon

Sometimes if you delete the temp files first, then disc clean up will run correctly.
    It can find a few other things to clean up, but getting rid of temp files may save her some space.
    Click start/run and type %temp% and click OK.
    Delete everything it brings up.

6. grandma77

grandma77 Thread Starter

Papermoon,
    Thank you, thank you, thank you. I deleted the %temp% files and the disk cleanup worked. I sooo much appreciate your help. I will mark this solved.

7. Papermoon

Papermoon

your most welcome :)

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!