[Solved] Disk Cleanup Problem

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

jlehmo7

Win98/92mb ram/450mhz AMD

Whenever I run the Disk Cleanup function under system tools, it begins to scan the c drive, it gets half way, and the computer freezes up. I cannot ctrl+alt+del. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I would test the behavior in safe mode. If it doesn't do it there then the problem is likely caused by a conflict with something running in the background (could even be a virus).

To start in safe mode, press and hold the ctrl key as soon as the computer begins booting. Select safe mode from the Boot Menu.

If it happens in safe mode, there are a couple of things we can try. One is to manually do some cleaning in DOS, sometimes corrupt cache directories cause freezing.

To do a DOS cleanup, go to start>shutdown>restart in MS-DOS mode. At the c:\windows\> prompt enter:

smartdrv
deltree history
deltree temp
deltree tempor~1
exit

Confirm the target directory is correct before pressing 'y' when prompted. Smartdrv is needed to speed up the process, which otherwise can take a long time.

(Note -- you cannot restart to MS-DOS mode from safe mode, if you choose to use the boot menu to access a command prompt, be sure to change to the Windows directory before trying those commands (cd windows)).

The second thing to try is replacing the Diskcleanup tool cleanmgr.exe

You can use the System File Checker to do this.

Using SFC to extract files

1. Go to Start>Run and enter SFC and click OK
2. Check "Extract one File"
3. Enter the file name and click on "Start"
4. In the "Restore from" field enter:: D:\WIN98 [if 'D' is not the letter of your CD-Rom drive, modify appropriately]
5. Click OK

{if you do not have a Windows system CD, try subsitituting c:\windows\options\cabs in the"restore from field"}

Yes follow my instructions on my web site. Follow the instructions for everything that is followed by the 3 Red *. You will have no other problems if you do.

Also scroll down and follow the instructions for msconfig

Okidoke. You should probably test the thing again in a few days when you have some more trash to clean up.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online