1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: disk cleanup takes forever

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by patricial, Mar 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. patricial

patricial Thread Starter

disk cleanup on my windows xp takes forever (stuck at compressing old files). Any idea how to solve this?

Thanks -- Patricia

2. SDFOX 7

SDFOX 7 Banned

3. johnebadbak

johnebadbak

empty all temp files manually
    recycle bin
    C:\windows\ temp folder

all temporary internet files do it through I.E. tools/internet options
    then defrag the C drive "my computer right click "C" drive/properties /tools defrag now.

good utility to do this for you at

http://www.danish-shareware.dk/soft/emptemp/

4. perfume

perfume Banned

Dear patricial,
    Download and use Ccleaner(Free) to remove the .temp files.Don't use the Registry function under any circumstances! You can download Ccleaner which is highly rated by all members of this site from here:http://www.ccleaner.com/

Now regarding the Disk cleaner, i would personally recommend the free version of Glary Utilities from :http://www.glaryutilities.com/ .Refrain from using the Registry cleaner!:)

5. bbearren

bbearren

Visit my homepage and click on Disk Cleanup on the Contents page. When making your cleanup selections for sageset, leave "Compress old files" unchecked. That will greatly speed up the process.

6. pczafer

pczafer

7. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Patricia:

Using Disk Cleanup to get rid of junk doesn't do a good job at all, and it allows you to get rid of files that should be left alone, such as "Office setup files".

The Temp folders in:

C:\WINDOWS\Temp

C:\Documents And Settings\(Username)\Local Settings\Temp

should be emptied out once or twice a month because they can accumulate a lot of junk.

Don't delete the Temp folders. Delete what's inside them.

Empty the Recycle Bin afterwards to reclaim the hard drive space.

--------------------------------------------------------------

8. rka0

rka0 Banned

Hello patricial. Try this it gets rid of compress old files.
    [-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\VolumeCaches\Compress old files]

9. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    The Microsoft link in post #2 explains in more detail how to use that registry tweak.

It'll do the trick and you won't see "Compress old files" any more in Disk Cleanup.

---------------------------------------------------------------

10. pczafer

pczafer

if you are familiar with windows and know about registry entry and how to delete thigs from regedit you can do above things but if you not very familiar with this kind of things dont even thuch that staff. you can make more mess than before. here is the easeist way to clean up everythig. with optional cleaning feature. i been using long time and ist great.
    Cleans the following

[​IMG]Internet Explorer
    Temporary files, history, cookies, Autocomplete form history, index.dat.
    [​IMG]Firefox
    Temporary files, history, cookies, download history, form history.
    [​IMG]Google Chrome
    Temporary files, history, cookies, download history, form history.
    [​IMG]Opera
    Temporary files, history, cookies.
    [​IMG]Safari
    Temporary files, history, cookies, form history.
    [​IMG]Windows
    Recycle Bin, Recent Documents, Temporary files and Log files.
    [​IMG]Registry cleaner
    Advanced features to remove unused and old entries, including File Extensions, ActiveX Controls, ClassIDs, ProgIDs, Uninstallers, Shared DLLs, Fonts, Help Files, Application Paths, Icons, Invalid Shortcuts and more... also comes with a comprehensive backup feature.
    [​IMG]Third-party applications
    Removes temp files and recent file lists (MRUs) from many apps including Media Player, eMule, Kazaa, Google Toolbar, Netscape, Microsoft Office, Nero, Adobe Acrobat, WinRAR, WinAce, WinZip and many more...

and its free http://www.ccleaner.com/ you can download from this link

11. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

Do not, ever use a Registry Cleaner. They perform no useful function and have no positive affect on performance. Everyone seems to believe that their PC is safe if the cleaner has a backup faciltiy. This facility is of no use if your PC no longer boots, or you do not find out that one of your applications no longer works, weeks or months after the fact!

12. patricial

patricial Thread Starter

Thank you all for your help. I don't know what the registry is and when I checked the links that you gave me they all say "IT'S DANGEROUS TO EDIT THE REGISTRY". I don't know much about this so I am going to stay away from this.

I downloaded CCleaner and ran it but... IT DELETED EVERYTHING! :eek::eek::eek: All my history, recently used documents, everything! This is not what I wanted :confused:.

And disk cleanup still takes forever... :(

13. WhitPhil

In order to speed up Disk Cleanup you will be forced to edit the registry!

As for running CCleaner and having it delete things you did not want deleted, you first need to review the selected items that it intends to delete, and UNselect the ones that you do not want.

To keep you out of the Registry direcftly, you can use the item posted above by rka01.
    [-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\VolumeCaches\Compress old files]
    (Note that VolumeCaches is all one word, but Compress Old Files has spaces between them)

Open Notepad, and copy paste this bolded line into Notepad.
    Then, do a Save As, (all files) and save it to your desktop as DiskClean.reg

Then, find the file on your desktop and double click on it. This will delete the registry key that is causing the issue.
    Then, try Cleanup again.

14. ilovemycat

ilovemycat

patricia, like you I am computer illiterate so I really understand what your'e saying. The other day when I was looking for a solution for my problem, someone on this forum suggested checking this web site. It worked (very friendly installation wizard that walks you through). I did a quick search on that web site and found something that may solve your problem: disk cleanup accelerator.

15. WhitPhil

This (not for free, but cheap) product, does nothing more than the Notepad/Reg fix that I posted above.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/811812

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice