Solved: disk defragment help

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Adayyum

Hi,
When I defragment my hard drive it pretty much remains red in the analysis after a defrag. Last time I did it, it couldnt defrag a few of the files either. But my computer is running alot slower these days.....just wondering if theres a way to update my defrag so its working better or if Im just gonna have to get a new hard drive and move all the needed files to it so I dont do something stupid like buy a new computer. Thanks

Byteman

Gone but Never Forgotten
Hi, Just as important as defragging= temp file cleanup. Have you done this? There are some small free tools that will greatly simplify and do a lot quicker job of it.

CleanUp!

That's one a lot of us use, however note well the info about how to use it, there are some features there that can do things you may not want to do! I advise using it just as the directions tell you, at the Standard cleanup and default settings!

Read the Help file... CleanUp, similar to most temp file cleaners, can remove something you might have accidentally stashed in a temp location, best you read about things first.
Be sure you and other users of the computer, KNOW exactly all your logins and passwords if you delete Cookies, you will be asked to log back in to sites, such as this one and a lot of others, that have user logins!

*Download Cleanup from Here

http://www.stevengould.org/software/cleanup/download.html

* A window will open and choose SAVE, then DESKTOP as the destination.
* On your Desktop, click on Cleanup40.exe icon.
* Then, click RUN and place a checkmark beside "I Agree"
* Then click NEXT followed by START and OK.
* A window will appear with many choices, keep all the defaults as set when set to Standard Quality.
* Click OK
* DO NOT RUN IT YET-you need to run this from Safe Mode~

* Click here for info on how to boot to safe mode if you don't already know
how.

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPOR...2001052409420406?OpenDocument&src=sec_doc_nam

* Now copy these instructions to notepad and save them to your desktop. You
will need them to refer to in safe mode.

When you are ready to run a CleanUp, do this:

* Restart your computer into safe mode now. Perform the following steps in
safe mode:

* Run Cleanup:

* Click on the "Cleanup" button and let it run.
* Once its done, close the program.

You will be prompted that you have to restart, do that, CleanUp usually has two or more files that need to be worked on during the restart.

When defragging, it works much better in Safe Mode, but you DO DO DO need to restart after finsishing with CleanUp, when you are back in Normal mode, you need to Shutdown>Restart once more, and go to Safe Mode by using F8 key, again to run your Defrag.

redoak

Gone but never forgotten
Consider using "EasyCleaner" and its "Unneccesary" mode, with the first four items in the menu checked. At the same time you could use the "Registry" mode, but only delete items with a green dot preceding them. DO NOT use "Duplicates" mode at all, as some are required for proper functioning.
[redoak}

Adayyum said:
Hi,
When I defragment my hard drive it pretty much remains red in the analysis after a defrag. Last time I did it, it couldnt defrag a few of the files either. But my computer is running alot slower these days.....just wondering if theres a way to update my defrag so its working better or if Im just gonna have to get a new hard drive and move all the needed files to it so I dont do something stupid like buy a new computer. Thanks
Do u have enuf free space to defrag? 15%? Maybe thts one reason, for which u've already been given instructions to run the cleanup. You also need to scan disk for errors bfore the defrag.Run the defrag in Safe Mode and see if it helps. If ur fed up with the built in tool, i'd recommend this one, faster and free-although it lacks the scheduling features of the paid version
http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=1207

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online