1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[SOLVED] disk drive error.....

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ChfTx, Oct 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ChfTx

ChfTx Thread Starter

Dell Optiplex GXi...P1...

Boots to "disk drive error....." it's not recognizing the hard drive.

Installed different hard drive that I know is ok, new cable, cleaned the whole thing up................no luck...same message

For the heck of it I booted w/ boot floppy and floppy and cd are tucked in nicely and willing to help out when necassary....

What can I try next?

Thanks!!

2. codejockey

codejockey

Verify that the BIOS is set to auto-detect the drive (usually this is the "mode" setting) and not something like "normal" or "large" (unless you know for certain that one of these values is required). You might also try auto-detecting the drive from the BIOS setup screens.

Check any physical connections to the drive, especially the prongs of the power connector (molex connector); a loose pin or wire can cause all sorts of bizarre problems.

Try putting the drive on the other IDE channel and booting from floppy. Can you run fdisk and see the partition information on the "unrecognized" drive? If so, you may have a problem with one IDE channel. To test, try connecting your (recognized) CD-ROM on that channel and see if it disappears. If the CD-ROM is already on that channel, discard my previous suggestion :))).

Hope this helps.

3. ChfTx

ChfTx Thread Starter

ok.......set all drives to "auto"...AND switched the IDE cables......it worked....ran fdisk and formatted and in the process of installing Windows..............

However......

Everytime I reboot, I get the disk 1 error message .....but am given the option to set-up or try to boot again...........when I choose "boot gain"....it does....boot that is...........and all seems fine until I shut down and restart................??

I don't get it, why am I still getting that message and what can I do about it?

4. fweaver

fweaver

This could possibly be a weak battery for CMOS. Just a thought. I have had PC's that would display the setup message on startup. Everytime I would shut it down the CMOS would erase because of no power from the battery.

5. codejockey

codejockey

Sounds like you're making progress, anyway :)up: ). Do you receive the disk 1 error message with every disk you try? If only with one disk, it may be that the disk is taking longer than normal to spin up from a cold start, and is not ready when the first read is posted. This produces the error. A reboot (i.e., warm boot) keeps the drive spinning, and so the next boot attempt succeeds, since the drive has spun up to speed.

If you receive the disk 1 error on more than one drive (especially if the drives are from different manufacturers), I'd suspect a power supply problem. You might also try putting the "unrecognized" drive in another machine and see if it remains unrecognized or produces an error on boot. If it does, the problem is likely with the drive.

Hope this helps -- additional info appreciated.

6. ChfTx

ChfTx Thread Starter

I will try this hard drive in another machine......but for now just want to clarify something ......and have a couple more questions...

To clarify: the exact message (which I should have spelled out before) is "Diskette Drive 1 Seek Failure"......comes up at REboot also..............in Set-Up, there is primary drives 0 and 1 and secondary drives 0 and 1......have tried setting the 2 that don't have drives associated with them to "None".....didn't work....which leads to my first question, I can't get to page 2 of Set-Up........any thoughts?

When you say power supply problem, do you mean the main supply or the battery?...........new area for me, sorta, where do I go from here?

Thanks for your input!!!

7. codejockey

codejockey

Thanks for the additional info -- very helpful. The error message seems to refer to a diskette drive (i.e., a floppy) as opposed to a hard disk drive. You might check your BIOS settings to see if floppy seek is set on; if so, you can safely disable it (set to off/no). The purpose of this setting is to identify 360K floppy drives (!) that may be installed in your system. Most users no longer own or use these drives, so the floppy seek setting is largely useless. You should also verify that you do not have more floppy drives defined in your BIOS than you actually have installed in the system. For example, if your BIOS is set to expect an A: and a B: floppy, but you only have an A: floppy connected, you may receive errors on boot.

My suggestion about the power supply applies only to a hard drive problem (not a diskette drive problem), so you can ignore it. In fact, you can ignore most of my previous post, since it appears you are dealing with a floppy drive problem and not a hard drive problem.

I'm not sure what you're describing when you say that you can't get to the second setup page -- could you provide more details?

Hope this helps -- and any additional info appreciated.

8. ChfTx

ChfTx Thread Starter

Thanks codejockey, sorry for not spelling it out sooner, however, I did have a problem at the beginning with the hard drive and you helped me get that solved...

As far as "Page 2" goes, what I mean is in Set-Up is says "Page 1 of 2" at the top of the screen, and I can't figure out how to get to page 2.......not sure why I need to, but you never know..

Haven't tried the fix yet with the drives, I've been gone, but I'll try it tonight and let you know how it comes out............btw, there is only one floppy (144, 3 1/2") on this system.....I had to replace it cuz the first one was mechanically busted...2 floppy drives show in Set-Up and I already tried disabling one of them....didn't seem to do anything

I'll get back here with more info...

I really appreciate all the help! Thanks!

9. ChfTx

ChfTx Thread Starter

ok...........

Have tried about everything I know. I'm going to try and make sense of all this........

There are 2 diskette drives enabled (both are 3.5" 144), A and B. When B is not installed I get a hard drive error. When A is not installed I get the diskette seek error. Both times I'm able to boot past this to Windows......

Have tried all combinations and still get the diskette seek error message, which I'm able to boot past with ease, but why is it there????.... I gotta be missing something, but for the lifa of me, I don't know what I haven't tried yet!

Thanks

10. codejockey

codejockey

A couple of suggestions:

(1) your BIOS settings should reflect the actual number of drives you have installed in your machine. So, in your case, you probably don't want the BIOS set for two floppy drives. Instead, you probably want it set for only one floppy drive (most likely the 'A' drive). You should set the other floppy drive to 'none' or whatever your BIOS setup allows that indicates no drive installed.

(2) you should verify that "swap floppy" or "swap A/B" or similar is set to off/no in your BIOS setup; if set, this option will cause requests to drive 'A' to be routed to drive 'B', which sometimes can be useful, but generally not when you're trying to sort out problems with the floppy drive(s) :))).

(3) floppy drive configuration/performance should not affect hard drive configuration/performance; they are separate and distinct. If you set both floppy drives to "none" in your BIOS setup, do you still receive a hard disk error? If so, is it the same error you receive when one or more floppy drives are defined in the BIOS setup? And (you knew I was going to ask :)) -- what is the actual error(s) that you receive?

(4) you may, in fact, have more than one problem. My guess is that the floppy problem is a matter of configuration or possibly hardware setup; if you receive a hard drive error with both floppies set to "none" in your BIOS setup, you may have a hard drive problem (again, not related to whatever floppy problem(s) you may have).

Usually the BIOS screens will contain some indication of how to navigate between items/pages. You might also try F1 (function key 1), as it is often used as the universal HELP request. If neither of these ideas works, post your BIOS ID string, and we'll go from there.

Hope this helps -- keep those cards and letters coming! :)))

11. rmay635703

rmay635703

Also older phoenix bios systems don't like it if you set your hd settings to Auto when there isn't a hard drive present

For example you have a hard drive and a cd-rom and you set both primary master and slave to auto you would end up with a drive 1 error or failure.

If you set only the primary master to auto and the slave to none the problem should dissappear.

Also ditto on the floppy drives

Cheers

12. ChfTx

ChfTx Thread Starter

:D YAHOOO

codejockey, I gotta tell ya how much I appreciate all the help you've give me, but.....rmay hit it right on the head.............I set both slaves to "none" and it booted just fine....no messages (now I don't have to go back and copy them all down:rolleyes: :D )...........

of course I also set drive B to "not installed" but when I did that before, that's when I'ld get the hard drive error........

Again, thanks to all of you for your help!!

13. codejockey

codejockey

All right! -- score one for the good guys! Glad to hear you got things sorted out -- and thanks to rmay, I learned something about Phoenix BIOSes ... interesting that "auto" means roughly "only auto if it's there ..."

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/172503

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice