1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Disk Management - Upgraded to XP from 2000

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by schelenz, Nov 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. schelenz

schelenz Thread Starter

Hello all and thanks for looking at this.

I recently upgraded my PC from 2000 to XP and I have a PCI card adapter for two IDE hard drives.

I had these drives mirrored as a means of self backup. Since I've upgraded to XP, these 2 drives no longer mount. I looked at the Disk Management under Computer Management and noticed that the system recognized that they are there but it doesn't know how to read them. Both show up as Dynamic and Foreign.

I was hoping that since these had nothing to do with the boot drive they would just remount after the upgrade, but perhaps the indexing is lost?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Owen

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Perhaps you need to find XP drivers for them?

3. schelenz

schelenz Thread Starter

Terry,

I'm not sure what you mean by hard drive drivers, never hear of such a thing before

But, here is what i think happened after a lot of research.

Turns out that windows XP does not support disc mirroring, windows 2000 server (I forgot to mention the server part before) does support this type of configuration. When I upgraded, XP had no idea what do to with it, gotta love Windows... that is why I try to stay with Macs.

Very luckily, I installed XP over the the old partition of 2000 server and that partition wasn't broken enough to recover and it still had the partitions mounted and indexed. I'm currently copying everything off into an external HD and I will reinstall XP directly from disk.

Then try to figure out what to do about the fact that XP cant mirror drives.

Thanks,

Owen

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    My hard drive has a driver installed.

Attached Files:

5. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
  6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/650631

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice