1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[SOLVED] display adapter missing under device manager

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by doescher4, Feb 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. doescher4

doescher4 Thread Starter

When i started my computer this morning my display settings were set wrong so i went to change them and the bar was grayed out so I came here to find out what to do about it. I read a thread that told me to go to device manager and delete whatever was under display adapter (i think it was called that) and then restart computer and it should find it again and then i could change my settings. Well i did that and now I dont have display adapter even listed under my device manager and no drivers could be located for it. I don't know how to get it back :( someone please help!

Lori

2. VirtualMe

VirtualMe

3. doescher4

doescher4 Thread Starter

I cant determine what the make and model of my video card/adapter is because the display adapter is gone from my device manager and I have no idea how to find out what it is any other way. I tried a quick restore from the disc that came with my computer but that didnt do anything. I have a compaq and am running windows 98. I'm not very computer literate when it comes to technical stuff.....can anyone help me figure out how to get my display adapter back please? :( Would restoring a previous registry bring it back? If not, what can I do?

thanks,
    Lori

4. VirtualMe

VirtualMe

Lori,

Post what your compaq model is.

Then maybe someone will be able to find your drivers on the compaq web site or go
    HERE and choose your pc (desktop, etc.) and follow the online wizard by choosing your model. You will be asked to fill different info about your system as you go.

5. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

You can try a scanreg /restore......boot to a dos prompt, type that, press enter, and choose a date prior to the problem. Don't go too far back though.

6. doescher4

doescher4 Thread Starter

AcaCandy,

I tried a scanreg/restore and the only dates I had to choose from were todays date and then the other 3 or 4 were dates that said april 2003? I checked the date on my computer and it is set right. why would the registry have dates in it that arent even here yet?

Lori

7. ~Candy~

I would assume that somehow the system date got changed thru the bios setup........not sure I would try using any of them.

You'll be best to reinstall the display drivers. The compaq site should list them if you key your model number in....or your compaq restore cd may have them as well.

8. doescher4

doescher4 Thread Starter

AcaCandy,

I went to the site and tried downloading the drivers but everytime I get to the setup page the program stops responding and I have to control alt delete! I've tried 3 times and each time it does the same thing. Any ideas? I also tried a quick restore but it didnt do anything.

thanks,

Lori

9. ~Candy~

When you say the restore didn't work....you mean the complete restore didn't work, or it did work but the display is still messed up?

If the second, can you browse thru the restore cd to see if there is a directory for drivers/display, etc.?

10. doescher4

doescher4 Thread Starter

It said that restore has failed.....I think thats all the information it gave me.

11. ~Candy~

But using the restore cd? You get the failed message? Or trying to use one of the scanreg restore dates?

Can you browse thru the cd to see if you have a directory for drivers?

12. doescher4

doescher4 Thread Starter

I got the failed message from both the restore cd and from the system registry.

Lori

13. Del

Del

Did you try booting to Safe Mode and checking Device Manager to see what you have under Video adapters?

14. doescher4

doescher4 Thread Starter

Yes, I booted to safe mode and looked under device manager for display and video adapter. I have no tab for either of these.

Lori

15. ~Candy~

What happens if you try to add new hardware?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/118017

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice