1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Display Driver unrecoverable error.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by fyzidrank, Nov 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. fyzidrank

fyzidrank Thread Starter

If this is in the wrong place, I apologize, unsure if this is a video card or monitor issue. I would have to guess monitor.

I know this has been asked in 100 different threads, trust me, I read a majority of them. None of them have been answered that I could find, but there are so many different errors..

I can't re-create it so I can't tell you the EXACT error.. it happens when it feels like it.. so next time it happens I will let you know the exact error.. but for now..

This happens when I am playing a video game... screen flashes black.. then goes completely black for about 20 seconds, comes back up.. then in my taskbar I get a notice that "Driver display has stopped working and recovered" and then everything is fine for the rest of the night.

This was happening on my last computer as well, drove me up a wall.. I now have a completely new system. New everything.. except monitor. The only piece of hardware that has stayed the same is the monitor. I am getting this error again.

I did a complete fresh install on my video card drivers which seems to be the general reply when someone is having this issue. I followed the instructions on how to do a fresh install. Still does this. It's a completely different video card now, so I just don't think that's the issue. Windows is giving me this error, not the monitor though. I am unsure what could be the problem.

2. nickgr5

nickgr5

What are your computer's specifications? Also, which version of Windows are you currently using? 7, I suppose?

3. Mark1956

Mark1956

Everything involved with the problem has been replaced except for the monitor. Taking that into account it would seem very likely that the monitor is the problem.

The quickest way to prove this would be to borrow another monitor to see if the problem persists. I had this happen on one of my own PC's, borrowed a monitor to prove it and no more black screens.

4. fyzidrank

fyzidrank Thread Starter

It's a brand new monitor, so I was hoping there would be more of a solution than replacing it with another that I borrowed. Even if that does fix the issue, I would rather figure out a way to get THIS one to work!

Yes, I am using Windows 7. After looking around some more I noticed that the drivers for the monitor were labeled "Generic PNP Monitor" which I assume everyone gets by default. I tried to update them and had to go through a bunch of crap to switch drivers, but finally did. Last night I had no error, but it does not happen every night. So I guess I will come back if it happens again. Could have just been as simple as not having the specific driver for this monitor, we shall see!

5. Mark1956

Mark1956

I've not come across a problem before with a monitor driver but you may well have fixed it.

If it is a fault within the monitor I think that may be outside of the scope of this forum. As I mentioned it happened with one of my monitors and it was very random, changed the screen and the problem never returned.

If yours is still brand new (you said in your opening post its the only thing that isn't) doesn't it still have a guarantee?

6. fyzidrank

fyzidrank Thread Starter

Sadly, no it no longer has a warranty/guarantee. And that was not the problem, just had the issue tonight after three days without it. So I have no idea what it could be, just seems overly odd that it's happening with a whole new computer. I would hate to have to purchase a new monitor for something that trivial, its just annoying, doesn't really effect anything in the long run. Meh.

7. Mark1956

Mark1956

It seems very likely that the fault is within the monitor so whatever system you connect it to the same fault is likely to occur, so there is nothing odd about it happening on a new system.

As I have already suggested, the quickest way to prove that the monitor is faulty is to use your new build on another monitor or you could test your monitor on another PC. You already know that the fault occured on your old system so that in itself is fairly conclusive.

There is not going to be some magic solution to this, if the monitor is faulty a repair is likely to be more than the cost of a new one but if you carry out the tests I have suggested you will then know for sure.

8. fyzidrank

fyzidrank Thread Starter

Well regardless of your opinion, I find this error odd, on a new computer or an old one. Getting a windows notification error because of a monitor malfunction is odd. Period.

Error just happened again. Different monitor. So much for being fairly conclusive.

I no longer need input on this. Husband fixed it, should have just asked him in the first place.

Thanks anyway! <3

9. Mark1956

Mark1956

I am very pleased to hear you have managed to resolve the problem.

For the benefit of others who may search for a solution on this site would you please be kind enough to explain what the resolution was.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1027138

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice