1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: display fails to display anything after latest winupdate

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by njelimetz, Dec 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. njelimetz

njelimetz Thread Starter

hello,

haven't been here for a while because haven't got much time to sit and enjoy the computer :) how are you guys doing?

well, I believe that vista comes with loads more problems than XP. I messed up my XP because I mess with it, but vista? doesn't even touch it but it messed up by itself! argh.

to make the story short. about 3 hrs ago I went online and presented with 14 new CRITICAL updates from windows update. I picked everything that's under 1MB in size so I can speed up the install process. the last time I tried to install everything, got many problems from some updates refused to install and some are even failing and wants to be re-downloaded only to fail again because the order of installing those stuff isn't correct. :( nuts. well anyway, so I picked about 6-8 updates if not mistaken. then the computer wants to reboot, so I did let it reboot, and it came back OK. then I left for the bathroom for about 5 minutes, when I came back the screen already go to screen saver mode and when I move the mouse all I see is this garbled display. so I shut the computer down, waited about 10 minutes and turn it on. the problem is worse, the whole screen is white! I can't see a darn thing. it turned black for a while when the windows green bar thingy supposed to came on, but then it goes back to white. geez!

even though I want to roll back those updates so much, how can I do it without being able to see what's on the screen? and I've been reading around, it seemed that this problem already existed since last year?! some on M$ technet thread says that they've been working with the technician for about a week without finding a solution. what gives? do I have to buy a new HDD and put a fresh install of vista in there? :mad: not a good christmas indication.

anyway, sorry for the ranting. anyone with any advice or solution, please do give me some advice. I'm in the process of borrowing a monitor cable with 6 pins inside, because apparently my laptop only gives me that option to get a new display.

thanks everyone. have a nice holiday season!

oh, forgot the info. running Vista Home, not sure if I updated to SP2 or not, never checked, but I install almost every single CRITICAL updates there is, I didn't install silverlight. my laptop is an ASUS M50-SV with 3GB RAM and 250GB HDD with more than 80GB left on each partition. the only thing outside the laptop is a logitech mouse. that's pretty much all. anymore info needed, please ask so I can get the best answer/solution possible. THANKS!!:p

2. Megabite

Megabite

What happens if you start tapping F8 immediately on startup what do you get?

3. njelimetz

njelimetz Thread Starter

megabite

that's the only thing I skipped while scrambling my brain yesterday on how to see what's on the screen! can't believe I missed that. just now I did, and the display works OK. the ASUS logo came back on normally, and the safe mode choices were displayed normally! geez... if I had thought of it yesterday I won't even have to scream here haha ^_^ ...well at least my kids are enjoying playing games on TV now (because I plug the laptop to TV thinking that something would have been displayed, but I was wrong, tv display only works after logging in to windows).

I chose "boot from last known good config" instead of safe mode. just to make sure that I can still get into windows. I did and I was planning to get rid of those broken updates I put on yesterday, but the kids came in and see the computer displayed on a 32" tv and they immediately "sabotage" the computer to play games haha... oh well...

thanks for answering. although I still would like to know which specific updates cause it. maybe the one deals with fixing the daylight saving? the last time my computer won't boot is due to update related to daylight saving.

have a great day people. cheers. happy holiday!!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/968594

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice