1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Display Resolution problems

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by JT Cole, Apr 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JT Cole

JT Cole Thread Starter

I'm running a Dell XPS 400 system with an ATI Radeon X1650 video card. A few days ago I hooked my system up to my Samsung DLP HD TV. I set the resolution in the ATI Catalyst software at 1900x1028 and it worked great. Better than great really, it was freakin awesome to have a 50" PC monitor. So, this morning I thought it would be nice to have some family pictures running on the screen saver so I enabled the "My Pictures Premium" screensaver that comes with the XP Media Center edition I'm running. It went to screen saver after a few minutes and there were no problems. BUT, when I moved the mouse to cancel the screensaver my display never came back. My TV just displays "Mode not supported". Now, I then hooked up my standard monitor and checked the resolution setting. It was still at the 1900 x 1028. When I switched it to 1280 x 768 my TV display came back. I called Samsung and they were happy to inform me that my TV should support the 1900 x 1028resolution (which I knew since it worked this morning) and that outside of that there was nothing they could do for me. Dell couldn't help either since my warranty had expired.
    The screensaver has a display resolution setting in its "Properties" dialogue window that was set to "Automatic". This is supposed to select settings that work well with your display. But I suspect it selected settings that made my display quit working.

Sorry for the rambling... Anyone have any ideas?

BTW I also updated my video drivers this morning before this happened (meaning it worked immediately after the new drivers).

2. Dan O

Dan O

The standard screensavers will not work because of the resolution they were created in. You can select the screensaver None or Blank, or create you own using a graphic package and save it using 1900x1028 resolution.

3. JT Cole

JT Cole Thread Starter

OK... thats not a problem. My problem is that NOTHING will display at the 1900 x 1028 that its supposed to. Thanks for the reply, though...

4. Dan O

Dan O

Have you tried setting the screensaver to None and refreshing the video?

To refresh the video go into Device Manager and delete all video entries and reboot. Windows will automatically rediscover it and set it up.

5. JT Cole

JT Cole Thread Starter

No... that sounds like good info, though. I'm deleting the Display Adapter entries right, not the Monitor entries?

6. JT Cole

JT Cole Thread Starter

Uninstalled my Display adapters in Device Manager, rebooted, set resolution to 1920 x 1080 and it worked great! Thanks so much for your help! Now I can get back to work... or play games in glorious 50-inch HD....

7. Dan O

Dan O

Cool, thanks for the feedback.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/700999

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice