1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Dissapointed in the AntiVirus software I use.

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by larryh10000, Mar 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. larryh10000

larryh10000 Thread Starter

I get Norton 360 from my ISP (CenturyLink) free of charge. When I run a full virus/malware scan with Norton 360 it tells me I have no Adware, Tracking Cookies.

When I do a full system scan with SuperAntiSpyware it tells me I have 180 Adware, Tracking Cookies.

I am going to contact Norton and see why 360 isn't doing a better job.

2. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

Hi, I would like to direct you to this thread where the adware and tracking cookies issue is discussed by malware experts here at TechGuy> http://forums.techguy.org/general-security/1144792-super-av-found-52-adware.html

One program might detect tracking cookies as a "threat" when actually as you will read at that post, they are just a quite normal part of internet usage....

There are various types of adware as well, some quite nasty and not one of the all in one antivirus or security suites will detect or remove ALL of it.

As a part of regular computer maintenance, we always recommend scanning with more than one utility- that is a must.

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Bill is correct. Norton 360 all by itself will not keep your computer 100% free of all the threats that can invade it.

My antivirus program runs full-time to monitor and protect my computer.

Every 7 - 14 days, I start up and put additional programs to use so they can find and remove any threats.

-----------------------------------------------------------

4. larryh10000

Is it okay to have SuperAntiSpyware and Norton 360 on the same computer? I mean do they conflict with each other? Is SuperAnitSpyware running in the background as I use my computer, such as Norton 360 does or is it just a program you startup to do scan and then it is not running in the background?

5. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    I use the free version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and SUPERAntiSpyware - which do not need to run in the background.

I manually start them every 7 - 14 days, then update their definition files, then do a threat/quick scan, then remove anything they find.

---------------------------------------------------------

6. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

There is a professional version and there is a free version of Supeantispyware.... Pro SAS has active protection much like an antivirus program...but it is NOT a replacement FOR an antivirus program. If you selected to download the Free Trial that is the Pro version which will not be actively protecting your computer after the trial period is reached. For Malwarebytes, which is another scan and remover program that is very popular, the same is true, the Pro version is a real-time protective one while the Free version just starts and scans and updates when you tell it to.

Here is a page showing the difference between the free and pay-for (Pro) version>>> http://www.superantispyware.com/download.html

Here are the two downloads shown side by side>>>>> http://www.superantispyware.com/superantispyware.html

Many of us do use the Free version alongside our antivirus programs. . The free versions do not conflict with anything and we use them just to REMOVE any malware or ad and spyware.... a lot of that type of stuff is not even dealt with by the common antimalware or antivirus suites or programs.

In my experience, there can be some conflicts-- but I am not able to guide or advise you on using an antivirus suite or program along with a Pro version of any of the several antispyware programs or suites. I personally would not recommend doing that for someone who is not really technically experienced, who could recover easily from crashes of their computer, who does not stand to lose a lot of time or money or sleep....when a lockup or some kind of error loop occurs.... not that it always will, but these things are unpredictable since there is so much difference with computers these days.

The main thing to realize is how to keep the system updated, how to avoid ad and spyware, know the symptoms and the common ways it comes in, rather than concentrate on just protecting the computer,. There will I think always be some avenue into the browser or network, the email, or the social networking apps....it would be impossible to do much at all if everything was locked down. You would spend way too much time allowing things to work, to check for updates, to install correctly.....

Here is an article about safety online, about avoiding malware, the scams and bogus apps that you can encounter.....a whole lot of information you should read and heed

How did I get infected?

Basically, the antivirus program alerts you to unsafe web pages and files, it scans files that you are opening and should be the main protection.... with that said, a few on demand spyware scanners such as Malwarebytes or SAS cannot hurt anything, but I would not run the premium editions until youre more experienced. There are also adware and web exploit blockers that a lot of us use, and some of these are not all that simple to use and would require a little advanced knowledge to use effectively and safely.

7. larryh10000

Okay, here is what I currently have on my computers. I have the SuperAntiSpyware, MalwarebytesAnti-malware (free download versions), and Norton 360 Anti-Virus program which runs in the background. I change my email and bank password regularly with strong passwords. I run the SuperAntiSpyware and Malwarebytes daily and do a quick scan with Norton daily and a full system scan once a week - also Norton 360 is watching for malicious attacks and warns me is an attack has occurred and blocks it. What am I missing that would help protect my PCs and accounts?

8. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Unless your computing habits and practices are so bad that it guarantees your computer gets infested quickly, there's no need to do a scan with MBAM and SAS every day. Doing it weekly should suffice.

-----------------------------------------------------------

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1144979

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice