1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Distribute CPU processing and maybe RAM through network

Discussion in 'Networking' started by chardin, Jun 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. chardin

chardin Thread Starter

Hello.
    I was wondering what is it called when you have computers all linked together through ethernet, distributing the processing needs through the others to gain more speed.
    I'm not sure if this can be done with windows, but i know it can be with linux.

But if anyone knows what this is called, or if they know where there is an instructional, that would be great.

Thanks (y)

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

There are a number of schemes to do this, but you also need specialized software to really take advantage of the clustered processors. The Beowulf Cluster is one such scheme.

3. chardin

chardin Thread Starter

Hmm.
    I had a look at that site you linked to, but i dont know if its worth doing, at the moment at least.
    The reason i was looking in to it was to attempt to bridge my PC's CPU to my Laptop thought ethernet, so not a big cluster as it suggests.
    I might look into it at a later date.
    Thanks for your fast reply (y)

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You're welcome. It would be a BIG job. :D

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!