1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Divide by zero or overflow error?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mwredt, Aug 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mwredt

mwredt Thread Starter

On an older computer with a 486 DX2 processor I am trying to install Windows 98. I ran fdisk on the hard drive then formatted the drive. But when I boot up with the floppy disk that came with the Windows 98 CD, I get errors like 'the master boot record will be modified'; answer 'yes' and it continues. When it starts the Windows install from the CD, it gets to the point where a window comes up that says "Setup is preparing the Windows 98 Setup Wizard, which will guide you through the rest of the setup process. Please wait."
    Then a black rectangle comes on the screen and the computer freezes.
    I tried it again and when it got to this point, where the black rectangle was it says, "Divide by zero or overflow error?
    What is this Divide by Zero or overflow error and how do I deal with it?

2. Technoslave

Technoslave

i had an old Linux that gave me the same error when switching to windows 98
    i know of an error you used to get on linux calculator if you tried to divide somthing by zero
    that was exactly the same... i think it has to do with the disk you downloading from
    windows 9x altogether has isues with even a slightly dirty disk so try cleaning it the put it in and pray. thats all i can think of

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/489101

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice