Solved: Dividing First and Last Names in Excel

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

dfriend846

I have an Excel file of names (like John Smith) where the first and last name are entered in a single cell. Unforturnately, the names should have been entered in two cells - one for first name and one for last name. Can anyone think of a way to break the data apart perhaps by detecting the space between the names and putting the characters before it in one column and the characters after it in another?

Thanks,

Dennis

thanks OBP for the solution.
but i think it will not solve the purpose of the defriend846
if first name is too long then what will happen?????????

thanks OBP for the solution.
but i think it will not solve the purpose of the defriend846
if first name is too long then what will happen?????????(n)

valis

use the text delimiter option and use <space> as the delimiter.

valis

de nada. there's my solution for the year, and it's still January! w00t indeed. :)

if it meets your needs, don't forget to mark it solved under thread tools at the upper right.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online