1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: DIVX to MPEG2 (SVCD)??????

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by allenkc, Aug 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. allenkc

allenkc Thread Starter

This board is great. Please keep up the great work. Now on to my question. I have a movie that is in 2 parts. It is encoded into the divx format. I really want to make a SVCD. I tried to make a VCD(because of size constraints) out of it with Nero 6. WRONG! The picture was upside down and backwards. After reading some things on this message board, I decided to get TMPGeg Plus and use it. When I walk through the wizard to make the SVCD from the divx file (approximately 70 minutes in length and about 650 mb) it tells me that the size of the new file will be 2700 mb and about 6 hours to encode. I want to put this file on a 700 mb/80 min CDRW. How can this be? I thought it was based on the length of the file and not the size. Please help. Any suggestions would be great!! THANKS!

2. Nightcreeper

Nightcreeper

Divx is a variant of Microsoft's MPEG-4 Codec, the MPEG-4 codec uses a MUCH better compression that MPEG-2 (SVCD & DVD). The Larger File is because of the MPEG-2's lack of compression. It usually takes 3 CDs to make a High Quality SVCD set of a 100-minute film. The Time basis on CDs is for Audio, the Time basis on DVDs is for Movies. Hope it helps.

BTW: Try Nemo Codec pack, there is a codec that will allow you to fix the reversal of the film, otherwise try to re-code the film to mpeg-2 in low quality and then burn.

BTW2: The company that makes DVD-X-Copy also has a program that makes DVD-Backups to CDs; try that, as it should be able to code it properly to fit on two cds, but the quality will be low...

3. cjme2

cjme2

I have been trying to use Nero to split a large divx file and burn to CD - no luck. Can anyone help. The preview image is distorted and i dont see where i would 'cut' the video in order to burn. The only utility that will even play the file correctly is the updated version of Divx Player 2.1................HELP

4. allenkc

allenkc Thread Starter

Thanks for the response Nightcreeper. I will look into that Nemo Codec Pack. Right this moment I am creating a mpeg2 file with tmpg. First I reencoded the audio by using Virtual Dub and then taking that (now smaller audio file) and placing it back together with the video from the divx file to create a svcd (I hope). I will let you know if it works. ;)

Cjme2, I would recommend you start a new thread with your question so that the topic of your question can be seen in the topic line. To answer your question, there is no way to split the file you are referring to with Nero. I have been using Nero for about a year now and there is no such tool. One note, if it truly is a divx file and U have the most current Windows Media Player, you should be able to play it with that.

Hope that helps!!!!!

IT WORKS & VERY GOOD I MIGHT ADD!

5. gruntfighter

gruntfighter

you can try virtual dub or easy video splitter for splitting avi & mpeg files. Try TMPGenc to convert avi to mpeg (after splitting is better). If converting avi to mpeg the file will often double in size. Or you can also try "EO video" for converting, I have found this to be more reliable & produce better results tham TMPGenc. It has a free 30 day trial.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/155265

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice